tdc56
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey everyone,

I am about to graduate in Econ/Politics from a top 20 UK Russell Group university, and I'm strongly considering a masters in Economics.

Although most of my grades are B's and A's, I have a C+ in intermediate micro (had a bad exam) and a C- in quantitative methods which is a political science course. I tried to offset these grades by taking adv. microeconomics (in which I achieved a solid B) and two econometrics courses (predicted A and a B respectively).

I'm on track to finish with a high 2:1 and I'm looking to apply to Bath, Bristol, Manchester and Nottingham. Does anyone know how competitive these programs are for UK entrants? Are these two bad grades likely to cause a rejection or are unis more concerned with final grades? Should I explain these in my personal statement?

Thanks.
Last edited by tdc56; 1 month ago
BenRyan99
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tdc56)
Hey everyone,

I am about to graduate in Econ/Politics from a top 20 UK Russell Group university, and I'm strongly considering a masters in Economics.

Although most of my grades are B's and A's, I have a C+ in intermediate micro (had a bad exam) and a C- in quantitative methods which is a political science course. I tried to offset these grades by taking adv. microeconomics (in which I achieved a solid B) and two econometrics courses (predicted A and a B respectively).

I'm on track to finish with a high 2:1 and I'm looking to apply to Bath, Bristol, Manchester and Nottingham. Does anyone know how competitive these programs are for UK entrants? Are these two bad grades likely to cause a rejection or are unis more concerned with final grades? Should I explain these in my personal statement?

Thanks.
With these sort of unis at master's level, the constraints are more financial than your grades. As long as you've got a decent 2.1 you'll be fine for getting offers.
wxxx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tdc56)
Hey everyone,

Thanks.
try to improve your grades in your third year
tdc56
Rep:
?
(Original post by wxxx)
try to improve your grades in your third year
Thanks, I actually got solid 2:1s in adv. micro and macro and I'm on track for As in Econometrics. Do unis see this as offsetting the other grades?
BenRyan99
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tdc56)
Thanks, I actually got solid 2:1s in adv. micro and macro and I'm on track for As in Econometrics. Do unis see this as offsetting the other grades?
Most unis look at your grade as a whole assuming you haven't done terribly in some core maths/econometrics modules. It's only the top unis that actually look at all the modules, topics, grades and textbooks used for each. You're vastly overestimating the competition for master's degrees, it's much much easier than applying for undergrad degrees
tdc56
Rep:
?
(Original post by BenRyan99)
Most unis look at your grade as a whole assuming you haven't done terribly in some core maths/econometrics modules. It's only the top unis that actually look at all the modules, topics, grades and textbooks used for each. You're vastly overestimating the competition for master's degrees, it's much much easier than applying for undergrad degrees
Thank you! I guess a 2:2 in a core module isn't considered terrible right?
Also, do you think a UK masters is more valuable than a European one?
BenRyan99
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tdc56)
Thank you! I guess a 2:2 in a core module isn't considered terrible right?
Also, do you think a UK masters is more valuable than a European one?
It's not ideal but as long as it doesn't look like a pattern then normally it's fine. Whether a UK MSc Economics is more valuable than a European one is very very vague. It obviously depends on which UK and European courses you're considering. For example, Oxford will be better than some middle of nowhere US state university, but that doesn't mean UK courses are more valuable than US ones. You need to be more specific, which UK and euro courses and what do you hope to do after the MSc
tdc56
Rep:
?
(Original post by BenRyan99)
It's not ideal but as long as it doesn't look like a pattern then normally it's fine. Whether a UK MSc Economics is more valuable than a European one is very very vague. It obviously depends on which UK and European courses you're considering. For example, Oxford will be better than some middle of nowhere US state university, but that doesn't mean UK courses are more valuable than US ones. You need to be more specific, which UK and euro courses and what do you hope to do after the MSc
Makes sense. Do you think it's not ideal for top unis or the ones I mentioned above?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.36%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (29)
11.65%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.23%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
22.89%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.05%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.83%

Watched Threads