The Student Room Group

How do I cope with not getting what i thought I would

I suffer with Perfectionsim a type of Anxiety Disorder. Its not fun and I'm doing a law degree, I am working my absolute arse off trying to get at least a C + or B in all my modules but I keep getting hit back down. my lowest grade yet is a c- and I'm a first year. It has really put a downer on everything, I'm still on average at 61% but that's so close to slipping out of the 2:1 boundary. I do about 30 to 40 hours a week worth of law, and I'm constantly doing different things yet it feels like its never enough or I'm just not good enough. Has anyone got any advice?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Od5563
I suffer with Perfectionsim a type of Anxiety Disorder. Its not fun and I'm doing a law degree, I am working my absolute arse off trying to get at least a C + or B in all my modules but I keep getting hit back down. my lowest grade yet it a c- and I'm a first year. It has really put a downer on everything, I'm still on average at 61% but that's so close to slipping into the 2:1 boundary. I do about 30 to 40 hours a week worth of law, and I'm constantly doing different things yet it feels like its never enough or I'm just not good enough. Has anyone got any advice?

Hi, just to start, I am also a first year law student and I can relate that I have also got a perfectionistic personality type in that sometimes just going slightly under where you had hoped can be absolutely maddening and really put a downer on your whole month, let alone week or day! So I understand to a certain point how you feel. I am averaging a 58% which is a 2:2 so I can't give you advice on how to improve seeing as you have gotten higher grades than I! However as for your anxiety, this is something I very much understand. There is always an immense amount of pressure on students to pass whether from our own opinions of ourselves and our abilities or from those around us, but just remember that life is short and we can't spend it being anxious about something that ultimately, we can change! It's hard, but I found that by setting out a detailed plan from the start date of my degree to the end date (or at least from the day I realise I need to get my @ss in gear again) it helps me to set aside some of my worry. Plan plan plan, that's the approach. And try to take each day one at a time. If u look too far ahead at all that there is to do on ur plan, it will make you more anxious, so the best thing is just to set a goal for the day and make sure you reach it, and make sure the goal is realistic. And more than anything, remember that not passing, or passing with a standard grade is FINE. Firstly, first year of a degree is when you are finding your feet in how to approach your studies and isn't always easy, especially during covid where everyone's world is upside down and secondly, resits although not ideal are more common than we like to admit. So by all means, work as hard as you have been doing and keep up the good work, but remember at the end of the day, if you tried the best you could, you have done nothing wrong :smile: Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Honestly thank you so much , I'll keep trying to look at it a day at a time. I'm sure we'll both eventually get the knack of a law degree
Original post by Od5563
I suffer with Perfectionsim a type of Anxiety Disorder. Its not fun and I'm doing a law degree, I am working my absolute arse off trying to get at least a C + or B in all my modules but I keep getting hit back down. my lowest grade yet it a c- and I'm a first year. It has really put a downer on everything, I'm still on average at 61% but that's so close to slipping into the 2:1 boundary. I do about 30 to 40 hours a week worth of law, and I'm constantly doing different things yet it feels like its never enough or I'm just not good enough. Has anyone got any advice?

Hey, i can't relate too much but i'm also a first year student doing law too. So far, I've gotten firsts and 2:1's, my advice to you is what i do which is watch the lectures take as many notes as possible so i don't put the pen down unless it's finished or i'm taking a break then i use highlighter to color any important bits. My uni has drop in's where we can ask questions (i'm not sure if you have that too) but after every week of lectures if i have a question i either ask someone, send an email to a lecturer (normally the module leader) or go to the drop in. The worst thing you can do is be confused about something and not ask because it could come up in your assessments. When the year started i would do the reading but i didn't have a lot of time so i stopped and so far i'm still doing well.

To me it's about mindset so keep the mindset that you'll do well and if you didn't before then use the feedback you received and apply it to your next assessment. I do some work every day especially since it's exam season and stuff but i won't stop till i've handed in my work or i'm taking a break. Everyone is different so it's about what works for you :smile: but honestly don't worry especially since we have barely been at uni this year anyways so it's been truly up to us. If you have made any friends then you can always create a revision group so people can ask questions and all sorts (ask your module leader to post the deets where they can) but always ask for help if you need it. Good luck & you've got this (you're more than good enough) x
Reply 4
Original post by TheRealMissD
Hey, i can't relate too much but i'm also a first year student doing law too. So far, I've gotten firsts and 2:1's, my advice to you is what i do which is watch the lectures take as many notes as possible so i don't put the pen down unless it's finished or i'm taking a break then i use highlighter to color any important bits. My uni has drop in's where we can ask questions (i'm not sure if you have that too) but after every week of lectures if i have a question i either ask someone, send an email to a lecturer (normally the module leader) or go to the drop in. The worst thing you can do is be confused about something and not ask because it could come up in your assessments. When the year started i would do the reading but i didn't have a lot of time so i stopped and so far i'm still doing well.

To me it's about mindset so keep the mindset that you'll do well and if you didn't before then use the feedback you received and apply it to your next assessment. I do some work every day especially since it's exam season and stuff but i won't stop till i've handed in my work or i'm taking a break. Everyone is different so it's about what works for you :smile: but honestly don't worry especially since we have barely been at uni this year anyways so it's been truly up to us. If you have made any friends then you can always create a revision group so people can ask questions and all sorts (ask your module leader to post the deets where they can) but always ask for help if you need it. Good luck & you've got this (you're more than good enough) x

Thank you so much, I do the same kind of thing. I used to handwrite my notes, then I'd go and type them all up, then i'd highlight the key parts, then I would make more notes of those and merge it with my reading notes. But I had to stop doing that because I had a burnout, hahah fun. But now I type the lecture notes as I've had no in person or live lectures, then I highlight and condense them down. Hopefully I can crack into it and figure it out, Covid is probably a factor and all haha. But thank you so much :smile:
Original post by Od5563
Honestly thank you so much , I'll keep trying to look at it a day at a time. I'm sure we'll both eventually get the knack of a law degree

No problem at all :smile: yes hopefully it all works out! Don't give up if it's really something you want :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending