snowball_cat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am in year 13 and currently studying BTEC’s and a CTEC which are A -level equivalents. In one of the units (CTEC) which is coursework based we had to work in groups. One student refused to do her fair share, being disrespectful towards members of the group and calling the work we did a waste of time. However, in a group statement she wrote (the rest of us were sick) she claimed she had taken part and done the work as well.

We need to pass the coursework in order to get a good grade for the diploma qualification. Her work has been marked as a pass so she has passed the unit leading me to believe the teachers haven't done anything despite the rest of the group reporting it with proof of what happened to which we received no reply. The project was done over the course of a few months so a lot of time and effort was spent on it, therefore I find it unfair, especially when everyone else is congratulating her for work she has not done.

Should I report the plagiarism again?
Last edited by snowball_cat; 4 weeks ago
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Try the head of the subject first. Then head of sixth form before the exam board
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your college is required to have a policy which covers BTEC plagiarism which they are required to have made you aware of - it's worth checking that for starters. Most schools are fairly similar as they're based on an Edexcel framework Try this one to get an idea of what it will say https://www.hattonschool.org.uk/_sit...DE48C8F55E.pdf

This is what Edexcel says about malpractice generally https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...lagiarism.html and BTEC plagiarism https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...-Factsheet.pdf
Euapp
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are always people who don't pull their weight in group projects, just as there are often people who are so stressed they want to control everything. It'll be the same at Uni. Yes it is annoying, but as long as your grade isn't reduced because of it, is it really worth making a fuss? The personal satisfaction of seeing someone else fail won't last long. Maybe she had mitigating circumstances that she didn't want to talk about. The last year has been hard for everyone, so maybe you can just let it go. If there's a real problem your teachers will deal with it as you have already informed them. If they haven't, maybe they have information that you don't.
snowball_cat
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Euapp)
There are always people who don't pull their weight in group projects, just as there are often people who are so stressed they want to control everything. It'll be the same at Uni. Yes it is annoying, but as long as your grade isn't reduced because of it, is it really worth making a fuss? The personal satisfaction of seeing someone else fail won't last long. Maybe she had mitigating circumstances that she didn't want to talk about. The last year has been hard for everyone, so maybe you can just let it go. If there's a real problem your teachers will deal with it as you have already informed them. If they haven't, maybe they have information that you don't.
The main reason why I am upset is that there’s a chance my grade is going to be pulled down for that unit. We had to write about the problems we faced during the project and I didn’t include anything about my classmate not being very nice because I felt it was too mean. This is the piece of work that I haven’t passed yet and I don’t want my grade to be pulled down because I didn’t elaborate on what happened which is what I have been asked to do.

Yes, I don’t know what the past year has been like for her but it doesn’t really leave a good impression when she tries to use excuses I know aren’t true such as nothing coming up on Google despite sending her notes on the work. And it isn’t an excuse to call people names and say hurtful things either. She’s done similar things before but I didn’t report it because I didn’t want to start a fight.

Thank you for your advice though! If it turns out my grade gets pulled down because of it I’ll talk to my head of year about what happened.
Last edited by snowball_cat; 4 weeks ago
Euapp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Half of the point in giving group assignments is to see how we manage team work, so if you had snitched on her that quite likely could have been a negative for everyone. Far better
to say that it had taught you a valuable lesson in team work that will be useful in any future career. That finding time to work as a team when the players had conflicting time tables was not always easy, that completing chapters on time, and ensuring that the whole was coherent was more complicated than you had previously thought, and maybe a sentence about stress management, your own and other team members. I wouldn't have thought that teachers want to know where you failed, but rather what difficulties you came upon and how you resolved the problems.
snowball_cat
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Euapp)
Half of the point in giving group assignments is to see how we manage team work, so if you had snitched on her that quite likely could have been a negative for everyone. Far better
to say that it had taught you a valuable lesson in team work that will be useful in any future career. That finding time to work as a team when the players had conflicting time tables was not always easy, that completing chapters on time, and ensuring that the whole was coherent was more complicated than you had previously thought, and maybe a sentence about stress management, your own and other team members. I wouldn't have thought that teachers want to know where you failed, but rather what difficulties you came upon and how you resolved the problems.
Another assignment required us to say what went wrong and why as well as how we overcame it if it was possible. I think I'm just worried about my grades.

Thank you for your help!
Euapp
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by snowball_cat)
Another assignment required us to say what went wrong and why as well as how we overcame it if it was possible. I think I'm just worried about my grades.

Thank you for your help!
I'm sure you did fine!! But I know that it's really annoying when you work flat out and someone else just seems to do nothing and gets the grade all the same.But really don't worry, teachers know this happens all the time. In nearly every group project, someone will do more than their share, most people will do exactly what they were asked for and not more, and then there are those that free ride. It is a learning experience, and next time you'll be less trusting. When you send emails about the project timetable you'll cc all the team members plus the supervising teacher. That way everyone is warned that if they don't pull their weight there is a trace of your efforts to coordinate things and that failure to hand in a certain part was not due to laziness on your behalf. When there's a clear trace of actions and responsibilities it's amazing how some people all of a sudden cooperate.
Good luck!
Last edited by Euapp; 4 weeks ago
Yesornoidk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by snowball_cat)
I am in year 13 and currently studying BTEC’s and a CTEC which are A -level equivalents. In one of the units (CTEC) which is coursework based we had to work in groups. One student refused to do her fair share, being disrespectful towards members of the group and calling the work we did a waste of time. However, in a group statement she wrote (the rest of us were sick) she claimed she had taken part and done the work as well.

We need to pass the coursework in order to get a good grade for the diploma qualification. Her work has been marked as a pass so she has passed the unit leading me to believe the teachers haven't done anything despite the rest of the group reporting it with proof of what happened to which we received no reply. The project was done over the course of a few months so a lot of time and effort was spent on it, therefore I find it unfair, especially when everyone else is congratulating her for work she has not done.

Should I report the plagiarism again?
The school probably won’t do anything and it’s not like her passing harms you anyway best to just leave it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (88)
38.43%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
10.92%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (17)
7.42%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (55)
24.02%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (27)
11.79%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7.42%

Watched Threads