anyone who's drastically improved their average to graduate with a 1st?

Watch
tee1738
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
basically I got complacent in year 2 and ended up failing an econometrics module, really dragged down my year 2 average to like 64 overall.
Most people will tell you to get a first you'd need a first in year 2 ...

luckily my uni weights 2nd year as 1/3 and 3rd year as 2/3 of my final classification so i'm hoping if I really blow it out of the water this semester I can just about scrape a first by the skin of my teeth

So far in year 3 I averaged 71 in semester one, by my calculations I'd need a 75 average in semester 2 to get a first overall.. which sounds quite tough.

BUT if my uni considers my coursework grades from year 2 semester 2 (this was in the first covid lockdown so exams were cancelled but I had two coursework based modules that I got 71 and 74 in) it bumps my year 2 average up to 67 and I'll need another 71 this semester to get a 1st classification

Anyway the point is anyone in a similar situation and has advice or tips?
raisingthebar
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tee1738)
basically I got complacent in year 2 and ended up failing an econometrics module, really dragged down my year 2 average to like 64 overall.
Most people will tell you to get a first you'd need a first in year 2 ...

luckily my uni weights 2nd year as 1/3 and 3rd year as 2/3 of my final classification so i'm hoping if I really blow it out of the water this semester I can just about scrape a first by the skin of my teeth

So far in year 3 I averaged 71 in semester one, by my calculations I'd need a 75 average in semester 2 to get a first overall.. which sounds quite tough.

BUT if my uni considers my coursework grades from year 2 semester 2 (this was in the first covid lockdown so exams were cancelled but I had two coursework based modules that I got 71 and 74 in) it bumps my year 2 average up to 67 and I'll need another 71 this semester to get a 1st classification

Anyway the point is anyone in a similar situation and has advice or tips?
I did History & Politics and ended up with 62% in 2nd year due to complacency and ended up with a first overall. My year weightings were 40% 2nd year /60% final year so I needed 76% overall in 2nd year to be able to pull off a first which I managed to do.

Some tips:
1. Firstly, almost all students do better in final year than 2nd year- probably due to a combination of motivation & better exam technique having been through the system once before.
2. Secondly, this might sound harsh but you can't just pick optional modules because they sound interesting. If the module leader is an extremely harsh marker, avoid the module. I was in this situation where there was a module I thought might be interesting but some coursemates in the year above advised me that the module leader (who also marks all of the essays & papers) considers a 65 the average 'good' mark, so to get a 70 or above you'd have to do something exceptional. Harshness of marking really can very from tutor to tutor so do some digging on this.
3. Play to your strengths- if you have options to do mixed assessment (like 100% exam, or 50% exam & 50% coursework) then pick based on what you're better at. Some people excel under exam conditions, others not so much.
4. Think about whether you want to do a dissertation- in a lot of unis, a dissertation counts as one whole final year module and people often tend to do well because you can pick an area of interest, formulate your own question, pick your own supervisor who will mark it. If your strengths do not lie in research and long term planning & writing though you should avoid it.
5. Sometimes you can take an optional module outside of your department which might be an option worth looking into.

Other than that, I have to point out that sometimes a first requires an element of luck too. There are some people who revise consistently and extensively so will always come out with top marks, but most people selectively revise certain topics and drop others and they are lucky enough that the questions that allow them to shine are asked on the paper. A 2.1 is still a really great mark to come out with.

EDIT: also email and ask your course leader about the coursework from 2nd year and whether it counts towards overall classification.

Also read your course handbook to see how grades are classified- in some unis you just need 70% overall but in others you can have a slightly lower overall average as long as you get a first in a certain proportion of your final year modules.
Last edited by raisingthebar; 1 month ago
tee1738
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by raisingthebar)
I did History & Politics and ended up with 62% in 2nd year due to complacency and ended up with a first overall. My year weightings were 40% 2nd year /60% final year so I needed 76% overall in 2nd year to be able to pull off a first which I managed to do.

Some tips:
1. Firstly, almost all students do better in final year than 2nd year- probably due to a combination of motivation & better exam technique having been through the system once before.
2. Secondly, this might sound harsh but you can't just pick optional modules because they sound interesting. If the module leader is an extremely harsh marker, avoid the module. I was in this situation where there was a module I thought might be interesting but some coursemates in the year above advised me that the module leader (who also marks all of the essays & papers) considers a 65 the average 'good' mark, so to get a 70 or above you'd have to do something exceptional. Harshness of marking really can very from tutor to tutor so do some digging on this.
3. Play to your strengths- if you have options to do mixed assessment (like 100% exam, or 50% exam & 50% coursework) then pick based on what you're better at. Some people excel under exam conditions, others not so much.
4. Think about whether you want to do a dissertation- in a lot of unis, a dissertation counts as one whole final year module and people often tend to do well because you can pick an area of interest, formulate your own question, pick your own supervisor who will mark it. If your strengths do not lie in research and long term planning & writing though you should avoid it.
5. Sometimes you can take an optional module outside of your department which might be an option worth looking into.

Other than that, I have to point out that sometimes a first requires an element of luck too. There are some people who revise consistently and extensively so will always come out with top marks, but most people selectively revise certain topics and drop others and they are lucky enough that the questions that allow them to shine are asked on the paper. A 2.1 is still a really great mark to come out with.

EDIT: also email and ask your course leader about the coursework from 2nd year and whether it counts towards overall classification.

Also read your course handbook to see how grades are classified- in some unis you just need 70% overall but in others you can have a slightly lower overall average as long as you get a first in a certain proportion of your final year modules.
congrats on your first! 76% average is amazing.

-yeah on the optional modules point, I think i've chosen a bit of a wildcard this semester.. 4000 word essay (100% of my grade) in a management module run by the business school. could either go really well or really badly

-a bit worried about harsh marking on my International Trade module as the lecturer was a bit tough on the coursework. it's a compulsory one so nothing to be done about that

-i definitely am not at my best in exam conditions. luckily bc of covid my would-be 2h exams are now 24h take home exams. Went well last semester so hoping for more of the same

thanks for your advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (25)
40.98%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (6)
9.84%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (4)
6.56%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (14)
22.95%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (7)
11.48%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (5)
8.2%

Watched Threads