Study and motivation advice

Watch
mandapanda16
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey! So next academic year I will be starting my IB and I'm worried. I have trouble finding motivation to study and when I do find the motivation to study, I get distracted. Any advice from someone who has trouble studying too?

Bell0na
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mandapanda16)
Hey! So next academic year I will be starting my IB and I'm worried. I have trouble finding motivation to study and when I do find the motivation to study, I get distracted. Any advice from someone who has trouble studying too?
Hey, I have ADHD so lack of motivation/ concentration doing my A Levels has been a struggle! My main strategies are:

- put everything in a to do list + plan your day - break tasks into manageable chunks
- take breaks: there’s the Pomodoro method but I prefer 45 mins studying + 15 mins break to relax / do ‘distracting’ stuff
- remove distractions - in phone settings you can put a timer on apps or just temporarily delete them
- consistent study music/genre to get you in the mood: I like Jazz Vibes or Jack Edwards’ Optimal Focus playlist on Spotify. YouTube also has Lo Fi for free.
- Work out when you study best and use this to structure your day - e.g study in the morning/ fun stuff in the afternoon
- If you really can’t bring yourself to start something try the 5 minute rule - give it a go for 5 mins and if you can’t do it give up (more often than not you get into it after 5 mins).

Hopefully some of this helps! You have loads of time to improve and it is very normal to struggle at first
Jessica's attic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
do not study there is no point, only be a footballer/actress/singer they are the only ones who can buy a nice house, the rest of us are better off dead
hehe_x
Badges: 14
Report 1 month ago
There's no such thing as 'motivation', realistically. If you truly want good grades, you'll just get your head down and do it. Keep in mind the bigger picture when you sit down to study and acknowledge that instant gratification is not as important as your end goal, which is however many IB points you want 2 years later. Distractions occur when you're not fully interested in the subject, so one tip: read around your subject as much as possible to make yourself want to know more about it so you'll automatically just find yourself pushing that extra mile. Apart from that, I don't think there's a magic formula as an answer to your question.
Last edited by hehe_x; 1 month ago
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
be calm
mandapanda16
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you for all the advice and tips! I'll try them the next time I study, hopefully it works
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.56%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.15%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.6%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (49)
24.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.69%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.12%

Watched Threads