Hair loss at 18

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
2-3 months ago I started noticing more hairs falling out; this was a period where I was very anxious about my exams and Uni admissions, but the worry of losing hair exacerbated my hair loss. I found that I would be losing as many as 20 hairs every time I showered (and I showered once a day). To solve this, I tried to look up for hair care tips, and many youtubers were suggesting to not wash your hair everyday. I followed that advice, and found myself with loads of dandruff and worsened hair loss (about 50-60 hairs a shower). A week or two ago, I decided to start washing my hair once a day, since this was what my barber recommended (given he was seeing my hair loss worsen too). Since then, although my scalp feels slightly thinner than before (I still have a decent amount of hair left, luckily, for now), the amount of hairs I lose in one shower has reduced to 10-20, sometimes even under 5 (it varies everyday). Would you say the situation is getting better, and what steps would you guys recommend I take to make sure I don't continue losing hairs?
greg tony
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
2-3 months ago I started noticing more hairs falling out; this was a period where I was very anxious about my exams and Uni admissions, but the worry of losing hair exacerbated my hair loss. I found that I would be losing as many as 20 hairs every time I showered (and I showered once a day). To solve this, I tried to look up for hair care tips, and many youtubers were suggesting to not wash your hair everyday. I followed that advice, and found myself with loads of dandruff and worsened hair loss (about 50-60 hairs a shower). A week or two ago, I decided to start washing my hair once a day, since this was what my barber recommended (given he was seeing my hair loss worsen too). Since then, although my scalp feels slightly thinner than before (I still have a decent amount of hair left, luckily, for now), the amount of hairs I lose in one shower has reduced to 10-20, sometimes even under 5 (it varies everyday). Would you say the situation is getting better, and what steps would you guys recommend I take to make sure I don't continue losing hairs?
You already know the answer, based on numbers yes it appears to be slowing down significantly.

As much as you can try and take care of yourself, not just your hair.

It sounds like a very difficult period for you, and perhaps your body has responded to the stress by shedding hair. However, when something like this happens, it understandably has the potential to make us stress more, and rather than making things better we can end up reinforcing the problem. Stress often breeds stress, and it sounds like this happened for you. Your barber gave good advice, keep things simple, don't overcomplicate. One of the biggest determinants for hair is diet and environment, so look after yourself, get some fresh h(air- couldn't resist), eat well and do something that makes you feel better. What you may find is that things return back to where they were before all of this, and you may have learnt a really important lesson about managing your stress also.

Hope things keep improving,

Greg
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by greg tony)
You already know the answer, based on numbers yes it appears to be slowing down significantly.

As much as you can try and take care of yourself, not just your hair.

It sounds like a very difficult period for you, and perhaps your body has responded to the stress by shedding hair. However, when something like this happens, it understandably has the potential to make us stress more, and rather than making things better we can end up reinforcing the problem. Stress often breeds stress, and it sounds like this happened for you. Your barber gave good advice, keep things simple, don't overcomplicate. One of the biggest determinants for hair is diet and environment, so look after yourself, get some fresh h(air- couldn't resist), eat well and do something that makes you feel better. What you may find is that things return back to where they were before all of this, and you may have learnt a really important lesson about managing your stress also.

Hope things keep improving,

Greg
Thanks for the words of encouragement! Yes, the past few months have been tolling on my mental health, and at times I've experienced suicidal thoughts. I think I'm in a much better space now and perhaps that might be helping my condition as well. Anyhow, thanks for taking your time.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
See your GP maybe u have some sort of deficiency? Hope u feel better soon! x
ACG18
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
hey mate. search up 'more plates more dates' on YouTube. he has many videos on how to combat hair loss. there is a sub reddit too. good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (76)
29.69%
No (180)
70.31%

Watched Threads