I'm so worried that my health will stop me accepting a uni place

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I recently got offered a place on a paramedic science, a course I've wanted to do for a long time now. However, I also recently started having severe back and side pain that is currently being investigated by the doctor. If it's something chronic and will be with me for the rest of my life to some extent, I probably won't be able to be a paramedic because I won't be able to lift and perform certain duties.

It's causing me so much stress because without knowing what's wrong and if it's manageable or will go away with time, I can't know my future plans.
greg tony
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I recently got offered a place on a paramedic science, a course I've wanted to do for a long time now. However, I also recently started having severe back and side pain that is currently being investigated by the doctor. If it's something chronic and will be with me for the rest of my life to some extent, I probably won't be able to be a paramedic because I won't be able to lift and perform certain duties.

It's causing me so much stress because without knowing what's wrong and if it's manageable or will go away with time, I can't know my future plans.
There are a lot of "ifs" and "probablys" in what you just wrote. Take a step back, you are running away with things here. You have taken an almighty leap from pain ...to chronic pain... to i wont be able to lift ....to for ever. Even if one of these leaps were true, or even two of them it is very unlikely they all will be. And even if they were all true, you would figure something out on the other end. I know you would, as I know you could not have got to this point by not overcoming some challenges or things happening that you could not foresee.

It might be because you have built up for this role for a long time, and the thought of it slipping away is making the worries more powerful. I get it, it is the same for all of us (me included), the more we want something the more power it has over us, and the very thought of it not happening can be like a wave of deep dread and upset.

The future always takes care of itself, you are just on the journey as a passenger not the driver sadly.

My advice would be to take a deep breath, this moment will pass and it is an opportunity for you to deal with these worries in a different way. If you want to be a paramedic then you will be faced with significant and constant worries, and what ifs all the time, so see this as a valuable part of your training.

Take care,

Greg
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Go to your doctor about it however many times it takes for them to figure it out. If you then get a long term (more than 6 months) diagnosis, you can apply for disabled students allowance. This will help you access assistive equipment if you need it (this could include lecture recording software or dictation software) and adjustments at the university such as extra time in exams, rest breaks etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads