lenny100
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My partner has been out of work for 5 months and has no income due to covid. We told JSA that i was a student and expected some dole for him at least but DWP say my student loan should be enough to cover 2 people . I dont understand this as (1) this is a loan i pay back its not free (2) its not enough to cover mortgage and 2 people and (3) why has partner paid tax and national insurance if he cant make a jsa claim. Can anybody help as seems unfair. thanks
Mrssomers
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know it’s a really sh*tty system but there are a lot of people who pay tax and national insurance yet didn’t qualify for any help this past year in particular. Although it is a loan you have to pay back, it still counts as taxable income (I am self employed so I need to declare it on my tax return).
I agree, it’s not enough for 2 people to live off and pay a mortgage, it depends on if you have been given enhanced payments etc but minimum amount isn’t enough at all.
Is there an appeals process? I’d speak to CAB. Also, is there anyone at your uni student support that could help advise you?
lenny100
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Mrssomers)
I know it’s a really sh*tty system but there are a lot of people who pay tax and national insurance yet didn’t qualify for any help this past year in particular. Although it is a loan you have to pay back, it still counts as taxable income (I am self employed so I need to declare it on my tax return).
I agree, it’s not enough for 2 people to live off and pay a mortgage, it depends on if you have been given enhanced payments etc but minimum amount isn’t enough at all.
Is there an appeals process? I’d speak to CAB. Also, is there anyone at your uni student support that could help advise you?
hello Mrssomers

thank you for coming back.
Im on usual student loan amount as far as i know. i will speak to CAB but dole office adamant its enough to live off for 2 people as we are a couple. Fingers crossed
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (138)
42.59%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.73%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.33%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (68)
20.99%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.49%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.86%

Watched Threads