Can I apply to Oxford if I’m on a foundation year at another university?

Watch
tumsizzlyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am basically doing a foundation year because I’m not Ready to immediately dive into year 1 yet. I was wondering if I could apply to other universities on UCAS, like Oxford/Cambridge while doing my foundation year?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Cambridge at least previously had language on their admissions pages which prohibited this, as they indicated they would not consider applications from students currently enrolled at another uni - so would expect you to withdraw from that uni before applying to them.

Oxford did and I believe still does consider applications from students at other unis, but I believe they indicate they require "strong support from the current university" i.e. that your reference be from your current uni and be quite strong and compelling, which in practice is virtually impossible to achieve in your first year at the uni due to the timeline and thus necessarily requires you to either apply during your second year there (which has major financial ramifications Re: student finance entitlement) or after withdrawing and taking a gap year.

Other unis generally may consider it. However for both Oxford and other unis (except Cambridge), there is no guarantee they will consider your course to meet their entry criteria, especially if the course you're applying to has subject specific requirements (e.g. A-level Chemistry, A-level Maths, A-level Latin, whatever it may be). They usually then will require you to demonstrate that the foundation year covers the A-level syllabus in full and your performance is commensurate with whatever grades they require in those A-level subjects. Which can be tricky. Generally the "high ranking" universities are more picky about such things (mostly the London unis like UCL, LSE, KCL, and some others maybe like St Andrews or Edinburgh), while others are somewhat less fussed.

So in short, you should contact any unis you may want to apply to well in advance to enquire whether your foundation course would be acceptable or not.
tumsizzlyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello,

I’m only wishing to apply for their Law degree, my a level grades cover everything and as do my subjects, so will I be okay to do so?
Obviously I will have to look more into the whole “strong support” from my university situation when the time is right.
nxddlx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi i'm in a similar situation so just wanted to boost this thread out of interest. Im going to be doing and art foundation year at an art school and either apply for art or english. My grades cover the entry requirements.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tumsizzlyy)
Hello,

I’m only wishing to apply for their Law degree, my a level grades cover everything and as do my subjects, so will I be okay to do so?
Obviously I will have to look more into the whole “strong support” from my university situation when the time is right.
I didn't see this as you hadn't replied to my post

In any case, I would recommend you would be better off taking a gap year and then applying rather than potentially wasting one (or more!) years of your finite student finance entitlement. It's also quite possible you would functionally need to end up taking a gap year after leaving the foundation year in order to apply anyway. It just seems unnecessary and circular to go and do a foundation year elsewhere, especially if you have the grades to do the degree you want to study in the first place, you are clearly academically ready to go into that course directly if they accept you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (223)
43.39%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.28%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.59%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (108)
21.01%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (58)
11.28%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.45%

Watched Threads