BobMarley420p
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I am looking for a Self Hosting Cloud Storage Software that I can just install and use to access my files remotely. I just want to be able to install it and use it straight up. I want it to have a good UI where i can see photos and stuff in folders easily. I want it to be multi platform where i can access my files.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by BobMarley420p)
I am looking for a Self Hosting Cloud Storage Software that I can just install and use to access my files remotely. I just want to be able to install it and use it straight up. I want it to have a good UI where i can see photos and stuff in folders easily. I want it to be multi platform where i can access my files.
I use icloud & onedrive (and in the past used mega).

I like both icloud & onedrive, I use them on mobile devices and windows & mac desktops they both work well once you've taken the effort to set them all up.

I have it so they just appear as another drive on my devices like any other hard storage. Of course you have to be mindful that they require internet connection for smooth use but that is rarely a problem with the amount of wifi & 4g around nowadays.
BobMarley420p
Rep:
(Original post by mnot)

I like both icloud & onedrive, I use them on mobile devices and windows & mac desktops they both work well once you've taken the effort to set them all up.

I have it so they just appear as another drive on my devices like any other hard storage. Of course you have to be mindful that they require internet connection for smooth use but that is rarely a problem with the amount of wifi & 4g around nowadays.
I am looking for a self hosting software that i can use my own computer and my own hard drive in one simple solution software.
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by BobMarley420p)
No idea why you haven't been getting helpful answers here, but Nextcloud is the de facto standard for what you want to do.

Please consider redundancy if you must go down the self hosted route. Remember, cloud storage by the likes of Microsoft and Google has the benefit of high availability and redundancy - your local instance not so much......
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
I second Nextcloud. Have you thought about a NAS and VPN configuration?
(Original post by mnot)

OP is asking for self-hosting.
Last edited by RoyalSheepy; 6 months ago
rbarlow03
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
For self-hosting, I think that Plex is a rather good idea. It's multi-platform and free, it just requires you to have an internet connection. Having a NAS and an app that you can access it from is also a decent alternative, but it's all up to you.

I hope this helps
BobMarley420p
Rep:
(Original post by IWMTom)
No idea why you haven't been getting helpful answers here, but Nextcloud is the de facto standard for what you want to do.

Please consider redundancy if you must go down the self hosted route. Remember, cloud storage by the likes of Microsoft and Google has the benefit of high availability and redundancy - your local instance not so much......
Thank you very much for the reply. I have taken that into consideration and found the perfect combination for my needs. Also considered redundancy as well and have added that to make sure that is done.
BobMarley420p
Rep:
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
I second Nextcloud. Have you thought about a NAS and VPN configuration?

OP is asking for self-hosting.
Thank you very much the reply and will try those.
BobMarley420p
Rep:
Sorry if it was misleading. I have gotten some great suggestions from the community now and will try and range of them. Have a nice day.
BobMarley420p
Rep:
(Original post by rbarlow03)
For self-hosting, I think that Plex is a rather good idea. It's multi-platform and free, it just requires you to have an internet connection. Having a NAS and an app that you can access it from is also a decent alternative, but it's all up to you.

I hope this helps
I will look into Plex. Thank you so much for the reply and suggestion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (28)
9.62%
Okay (86)
29.55%
A bit lacking (105)
36.08%
Not good at all (72)
24.74%

Watched Threads