Starting to think these restrictions will never end

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm happy about the restrictions being relaxed on Monday but I'm just thinking how long is it going to last because it went like this last year and then we went into more lockdowns. Its been a hard year, I haven't felt happy with not being able to go out, I haven't really seen my mates because I don't really know anything to do if we can only meet outdoors so I've not really seen them since January last year and I realised it. It has just been hard and I have struggled. I felt trapped and really upset in lockdown because I just had to sit there in my room everyday. I got bored and couldn't do anything. My family were all at home which caused arguments. It wasn't ideal.

I think we know we will go back into lockdown and restrictions but I'm just starting to will be permanent, lockdowns restrictions and basically a circle of lifting restrictions then going back in lockdown and lifting going back to lockdown an so on. I don't know what I will do then. I'm thinking this because last year in April we thought we'd have lockdown and all this then we thought 3 months later we will be back to normal but a over a year later we are still under restrictions and had a lockdown. Its just been so depressing since 2020 the world has gone ****ed.
kusum84
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Still, the situations are worse and no one wants to take risk of his or her life. You can take an example from India, people are dying outside the hospitals as the medical facilities have been collapsed due to lack of oxygen and all. So be patient and stay safe at your home if possible.
ashtolga23
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Vaccines are rolling out fast and there's a lot of relaxation planned.
chloenix
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's not the same as last year for two main reasons:
1) More and more of the population are being vaccinated every day, a number which will only go up.
2) The economy cannot handle this 'constant cycle of restrictions', and the government know that. They said themselves that no matter what they won't go back into lockdown (not that I usually trust the government but in this case I don't see how it would be plausible to go back into lockdown).
TJ1997
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think there is the possibility of local restrictions remaining in places with very high cases, but the Indian covid variant will be pretty concerning if a) it overpowers vaccines and b) is more transmissible than the South African or Kent variants. The winter might be bleak if these are true, nobody knows for sure.

Having said that, the vaccines are pretty effective and transmission is being cut significantly by the day so it isn't as bad as the situation we were in last year. There might be a slightly longer legal obligation to adhere to social distancing/mask wearing but we won't be in another lockdown for both social/economic reasons, don't worry..
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
I understand where you're coming from, and it's true. With the logic of 'if the cases rise, have a lockdown' continues then we'll be in lockdowns forever.
The cases will never drop to 0, the survival rate will never be 100% because nothing else has ever done that, even the common cold and the flu which circulate every year. We need to get on with our lives because they're flying by and the restrictions won't help it.
In fact, our immunity depends on coming into contact with others, so they make it even worse.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
you can help things along by accepting vaccines when they are offered to you, and encouraging people you know to take the vaccines.
Cryoraptor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
First thing, the situation isn't getting worse again, it's getting better every day apart from in the worst sh*tholes in the country like Bolton. The Indian variant has been shown in early studies to be just as susceptible to the vaccine as any other variant. Think back a few months ago when everyone was freaking out about the Kent, South Africa and Brazil variants. We aren't talking about them anymore because we now know they are just as susceptible to the vaccine as older variants and aren't any more dangerous than any other variant out there.

Second, imagine the reaction to a fourth lockdown. As a society we really aren't bothered much anymore and our vulnerable population is vaccinated, so I don't see many people following it to begin with, and it'd create a prohibition scenario: Few people enforcing it, many people breaking it, therefore it might as well not even be happening in the first place. The tories wouldn't ever be voted in again.

Third, following on from that, the government has made it pretty clear that the economy and the population really can't sustain any more national lockdowns and they have no intention of doing so. It will be on the basis of 'if you as a town or city are idiots and don't take the vaccine, you'll get locked down to protect everyone else'. So when you get the letter through the post or the email or text or whatever it is, go and get the vaccine. That is what will end lockdown and what is ending it right now. People not taking it is how you end up with Bolton. Luckily as I said that's only really an issue with the biggest piles of sh*t in the country and most places have seen drastic reductions in deaths and hospitalisations. Eventually these places that habitually refuse vaccines will either see it eradicated via lockdowns or they will get over it through natural resistance, much to the detriment of the older part of those communities.

There is no reason to believe we are currently headed back into a national lockdown. All evidence suggests the opposite.
Last edited by Cryoraptor; 4 weeks ago
Cryoraptor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I understand where you're coming from, and it's true. With the logic of 'if the cases rise, have a lockdown' continues then we'll be in lockdowns forever.
The cases will never drop to 0, the survival rate will never be 100% because nothing else has ever done that, even the common cold and the flu which circulate every year. We need to get on with our lives because they're flying by and the restrictions won't help it.
In fact, our immunity depends on coming into contact with others, so they make it even worse.
Good thing this isn't the case then.
JB2002Lancs
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Like others have said, there is little sensibility in the Govt. keeping with these restrictions.

Our vulnerable have been vaccinated to an large extent or even completely. Vaccine uptake is also high and we're lucky that the UK was one of the fastest countries to start the vaccine rollout programme. We're all in the same boat and a majority are thinking the same as you.

Trust us though, there will be better days after these restrictions are done with. The Government, in their actions, seem to be moving on with the plan as new info comes out. Also, if you feel stressed about this, try to distract yourself from the doom and gloom. Do you have woodland you can walk through or a beach?

Anyway, my point is, like everyone else here has been saying, that these restrictions will end. It'd be stupid economically, morally and governmentally.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (25)
40.98%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (6)
9.84%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (4)
6.56%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (14)
22.95%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (7)
11.48%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (5)
8.2%

Watched Threads