MeleA
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey,
I'm currently a Year 11 student going to study Maths, FM, Chemistry and Spanish next year. I really love maths and am interested in potentially studying maths at uni. I am looking to go to a top uni and I will at least try to apply to oxbridge. Has anyone got any advice on what kinds of things I can do over the next academic year to strengthen a CV? Thanks in advance
Caz1234567
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I did Maths, Chemistry and Spanish a levels and the workload nearly killed me lol. I ended up swapping from Chemistry to Philosophy. I know a girl who did Maths, FM, French and Philosophy, she also wanted to go do maths so she had to drop philosophy to handle the workload. I'd advise you to focus on 3 subjects. Read around your subject. Do online work experience etc. If you put more time and energy into your subject rather than spreading yourself you'll surprise yourself! I would look into stuff like UNIQ and the Cambridge Shadowing Scheme, Both unis do all sorts of trips as well as maths competitions etc. I went to both of these and in year 11 I actually went to the "all adds up" conference at Oxford which was aimed at women interested in the maths industry!
But that's just my advice! Good luck!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You could try the Senior Maths Challenge and similar things. Otherwise just explore areas of mathematics of interest to you and read around things. Perhaps also try and avoid the urge to write about Andrew Wiles and Fermat's Last Theorem in your personal statement, I think it's a little cliché now...

The main thing really is just to be on track to be predicted A*A* in maths and further maths (and As in your other subjects). If you apply to Oxford you'll also need to get a good result in the MAT. The other, "supercurricular activities" aren't required by any means (except maybe if you appy to Trinity/St Johns at Cambridge, and you could just as easily pick any of the other 30 odd colleges available instead...), they're just options that you can explore if they are of interest. SMC and BMO type stuff also isn't necessarily going to make you a better mathematician at uni.

Also something to bear in mind is that degree level maths is very different in style and content from A-level Maths/FM and even more so than GCSE Maths. You may find that if you really like using maths to solve problems, which is largely what school maths is about, that you might prefer to do a degree in e.g. engineering or physics instead (although without A-level Physics you would probably need to look for courses with a foundation year in those areas), as those are more similar to that style of maths.

_gcx might have some other suggestions or advice?
Last edited by artful_lounger; 4 weeks ago
MeleA
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Caz1234567)
I did Maths, Chemistry and Spanish a levels and the workload nearly killed me lol. I ended up swapping from Chemistry to Philosophy. I know a girl who did Maths, FM, French and Philosophy, she also wanted to go do maths so she had to drop philosophy to handle the workload. I'd advise you to focus on 3 subjects. Read around your subject. Do online work experience etc. If you put more time and energy into your subject rather than spreading yourself you'll surprise yourself! I would look into stuff like UNIQ and the Cambridge Shadowing Scheme, Both unis do all sorts of trips as well as maths competitions etc. I went to both of these and in year 11 I actually went to the "all adds up" conference at Oxford which was aimed at women interested in the maths industry!
But that's just my advice! Good luck!
Hi, thanks for the advice- I'll keep those programs in mind. Unfortunately I have to do 4 A levels because further maths is an extra at my school but is a requirement by universities.Which was the most heavy out of Maths, Chem and Spanish?
Caz1234567
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MeleA)
Hi, thanks for the advice- I'll keep those programs in mind. Unfortunately I have to do 4 A levels because further maths is an extra at my school but is a requirement by universities.Which was the most heavy out of Maths, Chem and Spanish?
Oh that sucks, FM was just another option at my school. I'd say Chem is the most heavy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (61)
29.61%
No (145)
70.39%

Watched Threads