Medicine/dentistry clearing/adjustment

Watch
Unknown1232003
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi im just wondering can someone who didnt apply for medicine or dentistry get into dentistry or medicine through adjustment on results day or do you need go through a gap year and sit the UKCAT etc??
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not sure if any dentistry courses take part in clearing or adjustment - Mesopotamian. might know?

As far as medicine goes, in principle yes, although in practice you would need to have taken any relevant admissions tests (e.g. UCAT/BMAT) already. So if you haven't taken those then I think you would need to apply in a gap year, unless there was a medical school that didn't require either in clearing (not sure how many don't require them, if any - ecolier may know more about that). So I think realistically most who apply through clearing for medicine were originally applying for medicine (or intending to).
Unknown1232003
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Not sure if any dentistry courses take part in clearing or adjustment - Mesopotamian. might know?

As far as medicine goes, in principle yes, although in practice you would need to have taken any relevant admissions tests (e.g. UCAT/BMAT) already. So if you haven't taken those then I think you would need to apply in a gap year, unless there was a medical school that didn't require either in clearing (not sure how many don't require them, if any - ecolier may know more about that). So I think realistically most who apply through clearing for medicine were originally applying for medicine (or intending to).
Thank you so much
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Dentistry rarely/ doesn’t go into clearing because dental schools operate waiting lists which they pick students off of on results day if other students miss their offers.

On the rare occasion that they do, the student would need to meet the non-academic requirements such as convincing reason for wanting to study the course, work experience, UCAT/BMAT etc.

For dentistry, you’d need to take a gap year.

On a separate note, it would be good for you to decide whether you want to do medicine or dentistry - choosing either on a whim is not a good idea.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Unknown1232003)
Hi im just wondering can someone who didnt apply for medicine or dentistry get into dentistry or medicine through adjustment on results day or do you need go through a gap year and sit the UKCAT etc??
As @artful said, you will need a UCAT / BMAT score from last year to be eligible for Clearing for Medicine this year.

Do a gap year if you wanted to do medicine.

If you already have a score from last year, here's the Medicine clearing thread 2021 entry: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6915438

Dentistry don't tend to go into Clearing, if they do it will usually be "internal" or "unofficial" Clearing. And medicine don't tend to do Adjustment either.

(Original post by artful_lounger)
...unless there was a medical school that didn't require either in clearing (not sure how many don't require them, if any - ecolier may know more about that). So I think realistically most who apply through clearing for medicine were originally applying for medicine (or intending to).
Buckingham! But home and international students have to pay £38,000 per year so OP may want to reconsider before applying to them.

:ta: for tagging me.

(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
...On a separate note, it would be good for you to decide whether you want to do medicine or dentistry - choosing either on a whim is not a good idea.
Well said.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As above - Unis use waiting lists of those they have already interviewed and who just missed the cut for an offer.

The GMC and GDC insist that all applicants are interviewed - and this is usually far too complicated to arrange in the middle of Confirmation and Clearing.

The only exception to this is St Georges (London) who regularly put Medicine into early Clearing when it first opens in July - they will only look at those who already have their grades (ie. gap years) and meet the entry requirements in full, not Year 13s still waiting for their results.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (78)
37.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (22)
10.63%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (14)
6.76%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (51)
24.64%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (26)
12.56%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
7.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise