Acces to medicine/dentistry

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am 19 and my Alevels didn't go to plan so I took a gap year.I then got seriously ill and couldn't sit resits plus corona virus meant that exams were messed up this year too.Anyone know what college does Access to medicine in London. I definitely want to do a course to get better grades then to go uni and apply as a graduate for dentistry. I have looked myself but the college im planning to go to has horrible reviews. Is anyone in the same boat as me or wants to do access to med ?
anonymous#192
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
When you say ‘college’ are you referring to university or college as on 6th form college/alternative?

Would you consider resitting yr 13 and doing exams in 2022?

Depending on your grades you may also be able to apply for biochemistry/biomedical sciences at uni and get into medicine/dentistry that way? There is also a different type of medical course (I think it’s called medicine with a foundation year). It’s 7 years long (1 year extra) and it’s for people who fit certain categories that mean they would be less able to achieve high enough results for medicine (ie. deprived area, very low parent income, 1st in family to go to uni). I have a friend doing medicine though this route because he went to army college for 6th form. However, I believe they have grade cut offs and if your grades are above the cut off they won’t allow you to apply (I think they have entry requirements of usually BBC but won’t allow you to apply if your grades are AAB/ABB or above, though this may vary between different unis)
Last edited by anonymous#192; 4 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by anonymous#192)
When you say ‘college’ are you referring to university or college as on 6th form college/alternative?

Would you consider resitting yr 13 and doing exams in 2022?

Depending on your grades you may also be able to apply for biochemistry/biomedical sciences at uni and get into medicine/dentistry that way? There is also a different type of medical course (I think it’s called medicine with a foundation year). It’s 7 years long (1 year extra) and it’s for people who fit certain categories that mean they would be less able to achieve high enough results for medicine (ie. deprived area, very low parent income, 1st in family to go to uni). I have a friend doing medicine though this route because he went to army college for 6th form. However, I believe they have grade cut offs and if your grades are above the cut off they won’t allow you to apply (I think they have entry requirements of usually BBC but won’t allow you to apply if your grades are AAB/ABB or above, though this may vary between different unis)
I wanted to do an access course in a college/sixth form to get better grades. It will help learn if I have a teachers support. I really wanted to study dentistry. My grades are two D’s in bio and chem so I can’t get into a 3 year biomed course or something like that. I’m just starting to think that I’m not gonna be able to do this 😬
But Thankyou for your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (77)
29.39%
No (185)
70.61%

Watched Threads