Men's Mental Health (Speech)

Watch
Kyle McNeil
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone, I have to write up a speech that is at least 5 minutes long for a GCSE English Speaking Exam which is this Monday. I have to write a speech about 'men's mental health' and I am kind of struggling to write it up, I am getting a bit nervous as I am running out of time and I've only wrote 1 paragraph plus I will need time to practice speaking it too.

Can someone please give me an example of a speech about 'men's mental health' (it doesn't have to be an entire speech, just a paragraph or two)? I would really appreciate it!
snowball_cat
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There are a lot of good websites online about men’s mental health. Here are some good points you can include:
• Many men don’t seek professional help
• Men are less likely to receive psychological help than women
• The stigma of mental health, social expectations, gender stereotypes (crying is actually good for your health)
• Growing awareness of men’s mental health (charities, campaigns)

Tips for speeches:
• Don’t repeat the same words unless necessary
• Use connectives other than “and” such as “therefore”, “additionally”
• Give examples (statistics etc)
• You can look at reliable websites/organizations and quote them
• Get someone else to read it
Last edited by snowball_cat; 4 weeks ago
stem_leader
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Kyle McNeil)
Hi everyone, I have to write up a speech that is at least 5 minutes long for a GCSE English Speaking Exam which is this Monday. I have to write a speech about 'men's mental health' and I am kind of struggling to write it up, I am getting a bit nervous as I am running out of time and I've only wrote 1 paragraph plus I will need time to practice speaking it too.

Can someone please give me an example of a speech about 'men's mental health' (it doesn't have to be an entire speech, just a paragraph or two)? I would really appreciate it!
Start with sharing a fact.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/blog/tack...es-of-suicide/

"Suicide is the leading cause of death amongst men under 50"

Now the speech writes itself... Why is this the case?

The post above mentions stigma, but there's shame too. Who does a man turn to when he needs support? Is that support there throughout his life? Do men seek professional help through therapy? Yes! But at a far lower rate than women. Is it ok to cry? As boys we're bullied if we cry, but if we learn not to we learn to bottle things up and keep them inside rather than process them.

You don't need answers, you only have to share a fact, and start people thinking.

You could end in a single thing, when was the last time you asked your father how he felt?

Be sensitive in this... The rates of suicide are thankfully low in general but the conversation and openness to discuss mental health is important.
Last edited by stem_leader; 4 weeks ago
stem_leader
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Now I'm thinking perhaps that's a bad idea 😂

Quite a strong and potentially triggering subject.
Kyle McNeil
Rep:
?
(Original post by snowball_cat)
There are a lot of good websites online about men’s mental health. Here are some good points you can include:
• Many men don’t seek professional help
• Men are less likely to receive psychological help than women
• The stigma of mental health, social expectations, gender stereotypes (crying is actually good for your health)
• Growing awareness of men’s mental health (charities, campaigns)

Tips for speeches:
• Don’t repeat the same words unless necessary
• Use connectives other than “and” such as “therefore”, “additionally”
• Give examples (statistics etc)
• You can look at reliable websites/organizations and quote them
• Get someone else to read it
Ok thanks!
Kyle McNeil
Rep:
?
(Original post by stem_leader)
Start with sharing a fact.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/blog/tack...es-of-suicide/

"Suicide is the leading cause of death amongst men under 50"

Now the speech writes itself... Why is this the case?

The post above mentions stigma, but there's shame too. Who does a man turn to when he needs support? Is that support there throughout his life? Do men seek professional help through therapy? Yes! But at a far lower rate than women. Is it ok to cry? As boys we're bullied if we cry, but if we learn not to we learn to bottle things up and keep them inside rather than process them.

You don't need answers, you only have to share a fact, and start people thinking.

You could end in a single thing, when was the last time you asked your father how he felt?

Be sensitive in this... The rates of suicide are thankfully low in general but the conversation and openness to discuss mental health is important.
Ok, thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (94)
27.89%
No (243)
72.11%

Watched Threads