ippleboz
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
for the english lit gcse exam poems, do we have to memorise all 15 poems or is it more efficient just to pick out a few poems which all symbolise a different emotion eg, happiness, sad, pain, obsessed, concerned ect.... im doing the love and relationships poems and i have a mock in a few weeks and it just seems unrealistic to learn each poem when i have all my other subjects to revise too? any advice?
AK_017157
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would say memorise the basic themes shown in each poems, as well as going over the main points of each poem - what the poet is trying to show in the beginning, the middle, and the end. Then just memorise a quote from beginning/middle/end of each poem from which you can create an analysis. From the analysis, zoom into the key language features used. This shouldn't be that hard. The reason why you should do it for all of them is that you aren't sure of which one is going to appear in the mock. Also, knowing a poem too too well can actually sometimes result in doing worse e.g. in poetry comparison as you will be endlessly writing about how much you know of the poem, but you will run out of time and the ability to compare it to another poem *like I did in my exam a few weeks ago*. A brief knowledge of context of each poem shouldn't be too hard as well as knowing your language features and evidence.

Also, has your poetry range not been reduced from 15? Our poems were cut short from 15 to 6 due to the current situation.
Another thing, I would recommend watching Mr Salles on youtube if you need any help on analysis of the poems.

Overall, I think if you briefly know your language features, a brief context of each poem, and also a few quotes from the beginning/middle and end of each poem, you should be good to go.
Last edited by AK_017157; 1 month ago
ippleboz
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by AK_017157)
I would say memorise the basic themes shown in each poems, as well as going over the main points of each poem - what the poet is trying to show in the beginning, the middle, and the end. Then just memorise a quote from beginning/middle/end of each poem from which you can create an analysis. From the analysis, zoom into the key language features used. This shouldn't be that hard. The reason why you should do it for all of them is that you aren't sure of which one is going to appear in the mock. Also, knowing a poem too too well can actually sometimes result in doing worse e.g. in poetry comparison as you will be endlessly writing about how much you know of the poem, but you will run out of time and the ability to compare it to another poem *like I did in my exam a few weeks ago*. A brief knowledge of context of each poem shouldn't be too hard as well as knowing your language features and evidence.

Also, has your poetry range not been reduced from 15? Our poems were cut short from 15 to 6 due to the current situation.
Another thing, I would recommend watching Mr Salles on youtube if you need any help on analysis of the poems.

Overall, I think if you briefly know your language features, a brief context of each poem, and also a few quotes from the beginning/middle and end of each poem, you should be good to go.
thanks for the help. im in year 10 and we still have to do all 15 poems, ive tried mr salles but he doesnt do any of the poems that im studying? idk why
AK_017157
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ippleboz)
thanks for the help. im in year 10 and we still have to do all 15 poems, ive tried mr salles but he doesnt do any of the poems that im studying? idk why
I'm also in year 10, we did our GCSE lit assessment a few weeks ago for poetry. There was only 1 question on the assessment which was on the power and conflict poems - "Remains" and the question was compare it from another poem in the power and conflict cluster. Ours was an actual GCSE lit assessment which will be used for evidence for our final grade. We do English Literature GCSE in Year 10 and all other exams in Year 11. I take it you are also meant to be doing the GCSE English Lit exam in year 10 too?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.95%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.15%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.62%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.82%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.21%

Watched Threads