What is the secret to success?

Watch
Anonymous9224
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
What did Elon musk or Gordon Ramsay or Messi or Harvard/Oxbridge students not tell us?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Having a millionaire / billionaire parent helps.
2003a39
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The secret is your beliefs. Only you know whether you're content with the level of success you've achieved.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Self belief and action.
kaorimiyazono
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't be afraid of failure- you can't improve if you don't even know what you need to improve on in the first place.
Learning from failure- don't just be like "oh well I tried, ig I should try again". If you fail and try again without any reflection on the reasons why you failed and what you should've done differently you're just setting yourself up for failure again.
Work hard and apply yourself- no matter how smart you are, you can't succeed if you don't work on improving yourself or if you don't continue to gain more knowledge/experience.
Anonymous9224
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Having a millionaire / billionaire parent helps.
I thought those kinds of people don't work hard and instead use their parents to get the amazing cars (?)

(Original post by 2003a39)
The secret is your beliefs. Only you know whether you're content with the level of success you've achieved.
Wouldn't that action make you lazy because one could be content with minimal stuff done?

(Original post by ROTL94)
Self belief and action.
Do you think these individuals were just talented from the start and they did the same work as say someone who got into a Russel group university (just as an example) but got incredibly lucky along the way?

(Original post by kaorimiyazono)
Don't be afraid of failure- you can't improve if you don't even know what you need to improve on in the first place.
Learning from failure- don't just be like "oh well I tried, ig I should try again". If you fail and try again without any reflection on the reasons why you failed and what you should've done differently you're just setting yourself up for failure again.
Work hard and apply yourself- no matter how smart you are, you can't succeed if you don't work on improving yourself or if you don't continue to gain more knowledge/experience.
Very true but there are many people who have worked incredibly hard and have failed, so I guess working hard is just one of the many factors of success.
kaorimiyazono
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous9224)
Very true but there are many people who have worked incredibly hard and have failed, so I guess working hard is just one of the many factors of success.
Yeah that's true and I hate that hardworking people don't succeed all the time. That's just how the world works tho the best you can do is try your best to keep going and be resilient and hopefully things go the way you want them to.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Grit & passion.
“Attack every day with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind”

I think a lot of these people believe in their project not getting rich. They want to change an industry, often the financial prizes are out of view, and its the development of their idea that really motivates them.
dooby_boss
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What did Elon musk or Gordon Ramsay or Messi or Harvard/Oxbridge students not tell us?
they didn't say 'god is good' :adore:
ForestShadow
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
it is also worth noting this is 2 ppl out of 7 billion so natural variance means just like the 100s in the poorest poverty state it would make sense there would be 100s super successful

it may seem loads of ppl are super successful but they are headlined to you loads by media, further:

Frequency illusion, also known as the Baader–Meinhof phenomenon, is a cognitive bias in which, after noticing something for the first time, there is a tendency to notice it more often (famous successful ppl), leading someone to believe that it has a high frequency (a form of selection bias). It occurs when increased awareness of something creates the illusion that it is appearing more often. :holmes:
NonIndigenous
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A favorite quote of mine by Steve Jobs goes something like "If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to far, go together".

Fundamentally, success certainly is not about being an egotistical cut-throat. It's about knowing how to work with other people. Even people who differ from you, a lot. Ideally, so that people would also like and enjoy working with you, or working for you.
Last edited by NonIndigenous; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.67%
No (251)
72.33%

Watched Threads