mgcgian047
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Have to redo it, despite the fact I used varied amount of linguistic and structure
ConfusedDemon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
[Writing a book myself ] but yeah, keep it in the same perspective [like if its in first person, keep it in first person].
Write what the character thinks, but not too much of it.
If there's a conversation, don't use too much of "He said," "She said". Just leave it the way it is.
Make sure every sentence doesn't start with "The"
mgcgian047
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ConfusedDemon)
[Writing a book myself ] but yeah, keep it in the same perspective [like if its in first person, keep it in first person].
Write what the character thinks, but not too much of it.
If there's a conversation, don't use too much of "He said," "She said". Just leave it the way it is.
Make sure every sentence doesn't start with "The"
I did that. I remember using short sentences to quicken the pace and used creative ass similes. I think it was the fact I did it too much description, I need to inquire why I need to redo it, I also set a criteria for Miss that, if I didn't reach a certain threshold, I had to redo it
snowball_cat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Use a wide range of vocabulary eg. therefore, additionally, although, also, furthermore - don't repeat words unless necessary.
Make your sentences different lengths so it flows well and your sentences aren't all 3 lines long.
You said you overdid it on describing so consider how someone will see it if they are reading for enjoyment - is it too much for them to take in? Sometimes the most basic descriptions can be the best and leaves the reader to imagine what you haven't included. I think with creative writing it is also about allowing the reader to create an image of what is happening in their mind with what the author gives them. Some things you can go into more detail with such as if the character is going through something which enhances their emotions and what they see etc. but at other times a brief description is sufficient. Maybe think about what the character is like and how perceptive they are if you're writing from their POV?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (78)
29%
No (191)
71%

Watched Threads