There should be legislation against captchas

Watch
HucktheForde
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Big Tech companies are wasting our time trying to solve very difficult captchas ( it has gotten difficult progressively over time if you noticed )

and they are using it to train their AI bots for their self driving cars or Optical character recognition ( so they can fire human clerks)

It should be right that the users who help train their AI get paid for solving captcha and as a compensation for using our time.

Either that or ban it altogether.

or at the bare minimum , there should be legislation that mandates that there should not ask us too difficult captchas, just basic enough to separate human from bot

Who agrees?
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I vote yes on oppressing the nerds of Silicon Valley
ForestShadow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HucktheForde)
Big Tech companies are wasting our time trying to solve very difficult captchas ( it has gotten difficult progressively over time if you noticed )

and they are using it to train their AI bots for their self driving cars or Optical character recognition ( so they can fire human clerks)

It should be right that the users who help train their AI get paid for solving captcha and as a compensation for using our time.

or at the bare minimum , there should be legislation that mandates that there should not ask us too difficult captchas, just basic enough to separate human from bot

Who agrees?
you make some good points

separate Q, how else would you have a system to discern between ppl and bots apart from current captchas system? :holmes:
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
:five: I feel your pain
Sometimes I can’t even distinguish some of those really squiggly ones :no:
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Who agrees?
okay:
-its not a waste of time because it serves the purpose of filtering out malicious users
-yes they are, because training computers to see isn't a job that can be done by employed staff (its statistically redundant - selection bias, not enough capacity etc)
-you're not entitled to be paid to use a service. don't like it, don't use it. filling in your username and password takes time, you can't expect to be paid for that because its an essential part of the service; so are captchas because they prevent the service being malused
-you can't have a captcha that's more basic than the current one, but still able to do its job - that hasn't been invented yet

thanks to ForestShadow for alerting me to this abominable motion
HucktheForde
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
okay:
-its not a waste of time because it serves the purpose of filtering out malicious users
-yes they are, because training computers to see isn't a job that can be done by employed staff (its statistically redundant - selection bias, not enough capacity etc)
-you're not entitled to be paid to use a service. don't like it, don't use it. filling in your username and password takes time, you can't expect to be paid for that because its an essential part of the service; so are captchas because they prevent the service being malused
-you can't have a captcha that's more basic than the current one, but still able to do its job - that hasn't been invented yet

thanks to ForestShadow for alerting me to this abominable motion
captcha used to be just spotting 5-6 alphabets , now its spotting traffic lights, cross roads and fire host, putting puzzles in place, etc etc some of them are annoyingly difficult.

I am pissed that i am helping them develop self driving cars for nothing in return.

If we can just go back to spotting alphabets captcha, thats good enough for me.
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
captcha used to be just spotting 5-6 alphabets , now its spotting traffic lights, cross roads and fire host, putting puzzles in place, etc etc some of them are annoyingly difficult.

I am pissed that i am helping them develop self driving cars for nothing in return.

If we can just go back to spotting alphabets captcha, thats good enough for me.
if you go back to character captcha (spotting alphabets???) then the captcha won't do its job

the year is 2021, computers can read text better than humans

edit: you'd be wasting time doing an alphabet captcha because it would serve no purpose - its equally effective to have no captcha at all

but remember, companies don't care if you waste an extra minute signing up, they want to protect their service
Last edited by HoldThisL; 1 month ago
HucktheForde
Rep:
?
if you go back to character captcha (spotting alphabets???) then the captcha won't do its job

the year is 2021, computers can read text better than humans

edit: you'd be wasting time doing an alphabet captcha because it would serve no purpose - its equally effective to have no captcha at all

but remember, companies don't care if you waste an extra minute signing up, they want to protect their service
that's because the tech companies created those AIs by collecting these data from captchas at the very first place

if they keep on collecting these captcha datas and building even more powerful AIs, soon the current captchas wont work anymore

They created their own problem

So tell them to stop now!
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
that's because the tech companies created those AIs by collecting these data from captchas at the very first place

if they keep on collecting these captcha datas and building even more powerful AIs, soon the current captchas wont work anymore

They created their own problem

So tell them to stop now!
no they didn't, any amateur with a computer can make a computer read text (source: its the first project in every machine learning course). since tech companies don't share much in the way of artificial intelligence tech (because its expensive intellectual property) its got practically nothing to with that

and yes, you did actually get that part right: computers can already solve more complex captchas, but not so easily that its mainstream (ie current captchas still have some use)

but on the plus side, this does mean that the future of captchas is going to change - lucky you - and you might've already noticed some captchas don't actually ask you to solve anything
HucktheForde
Rep:
?
no they didn't, any amateur with a computer can make a computer read text (source: its the first project in every machine learning course). since tech companies don't share much in the way of artificial intelligence tech (because its expensive intellectual property) its got practically nothing to with that

and yes, you did actually get that part right: computers can already solve more complex captchas, but not so easily that its mainstream (ie current captchas still have some use)

but on the plus side, this does mean that the future of captchas is going to change - lucky you - and you might've already noticed some captchas don't actually ask you to solve anything
an amateur can create the program, but the machine learning algo feeds on data. noob amateurs like you and me dont have access to datas. only those who are collecting it has, and its the big tech companies.

edit : we talking about hundreds of thousands, even millions of data. amateurs cant do it by themselves.
Last edited by HucktheForde; 1 month ago
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
an amateur can create the program, but the machine learning algo feeds on data. noob amateurs like you and me dont have access to datas. only those who are collecting it has, and its the big tech companies.

edit : we talking about hundreds of thousands, even millions of data. amateurs cant do it by themselves.
im going to refer you to my first reply to this thread because, unfortunately, you have committed the big unjustified assertion, and have extended your argument into a field you don't really understand

it's absolutely possible to collect a vast amount of data, in fact, services offering it exist for free (Google's bigquery is free for 4tb/month, and yes before you try any qualification on me, that is enough to train a machine learning algorithm) and i used such data in my dissertation to exactly what you think i'm incapable of
HucktheForde
Rep:
?
im going to refer you to my first reply to this thread because, unfortunately, you have committed the big unjustified assertion, and have extended your argument into a field you don't really understand

it's absolutely possible to collect a vast amount of data, in fact, services offering it exist for free (Google's bigquery is free for 4tb/month, and yes before you try any qualification on me, that is enough to train a machine learning algorithm) and i used such data in my dissertation to exactly what you think i'm incapable of
you just said it... Google bigquery.
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you just said it... Google bigquery.
they don't own nor did they create the data in their storage lmao - its publicly available data, google just makes it easier to access. how does that help your argument?

enjoy your endless qualifications for an argument that was never finished
HucktheForde
Rep:
?
they don't own nor did they create the data in their storage lmao - its publicly available data, google just makes it easier to access. how does that help your argument?

enjoy your endless qualifications for an argument that was never finished
this thread is not against average ppl using data to train ML with little scalability, its against big tech company doing that or aiding that process but able to scale very well :facepalm2:
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
this thread is not against average ppl using data to train ML with little scalability, its against big tech company doing that or aiding that process but able to scale very well :facepalm2:
no it isn't, "There should be legislation against captchas" - go finish your argument
HucktheForde
Rep:
?
no it isn't, "There should be legislation against captchas" - go finish your argument
i am the thread starter. i say it is. end of.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (223)
43.39%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.28%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.59%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (108)
21.01%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (58)
11.28%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.45%

Watched Threads