tab__chy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey,
I live in Ireland. Right now I am unemployed and have no resources to pay traditional university fees, so I thought maybe I could do it a bit differently. So I researched online and came up with the idea of doing HND on any UK institutions that provides online courses and then maybe I would go for a top up Bsc (hons) course. But I don't really know if top ups offers you with first or second class grades just like normal universities and if the grades are related to my HND. And if they are related, do HND's provides you the same gradings or their grading system is different? Anyone with a topup experience please advise me on this as I need a minimum of upper second class BSc(hons) for a specific MSc goal.
Thanks
Tabassum Chy.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
HNDs are generally pass/fail

A top up degree will have a classification but it will be based entirely on your grades in that one year. That makes it a risky choice if your HND isn’t a great match/preparation for the top up year or if you have trouble settling in to the course.
tab__chy
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
HNDs are generally pass/fail

A top up degree will have a classification but it will be based entirely on your grades in that one year. That makes it a risky choice if your HND isn’t a great match/preparation for the top up year or if you have trouble settling in to the course.
Thanks for your reply.
So HND generally gives you pass/fail? Don't they provide distinction or merit? It's what Wikipedia says and someone else also replied in the forum few years ago that if you pass with distinction and then can gain upto 70% on your top up year you can get a first class degree.
I am just checking the fact about what he stated coz my hnd and topup will be on the same subject and totally related.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by tab__chy)
Thanks for your reply.
So HND generally gives you pass/fail? Don't they provide distinction or merit? It's what Wikipedia says and someone else also replied in the forum few years ago that if you pass with distinction and then can gain upto 70% on your top up year you can get a first class degree.
I am just checking the fact about what he stated coz my hnd and topup will be on the same subject and totally related.
Whatever grading system the HND has isn’t applicable to a different university. Every university sets their own quality standards and grading so marks from an HND don’t get used to work out your BA/BSc top up degree classification.

The only exception is if it’s the same university offering the HND and top up degree. In that case they know the grading used for HND and might take the grading into account for calculating the final degree classification
tab__chy
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Whatever grading system the HND has isn’t applicable to a different university. Every university sets their own quality standards and grading so marks from an HND don’t get used to work out your BA/BSc top up degree classification.

The only exception is if it’s the same university offering the HND and top up degree. In that case they know the grading used for HND and might take the grading into account for calculating the final degree classification
Dear PQ,
Thank you so much. I appreciate your kind response.
I guess I will have to check it out with the specific universities then.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (7)
38.89%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (2)
11.11%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (1)
5.56%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (3)
16.67%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (2)
11.11%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (3)
16.67%

Watched Threads