Should all UK television and radio stations play the national anthem in prime time?

Watch
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
In HK, all TV stations must play the national anthem before their prime time news reports. In terms of the three free Cantonese TV stations, the first channel to play the anthem, Viu TV, plays it at 6pm. TVB Jade follows at 6:30 pm, with HK Open TV playing the anthem at 7pm.
This rule has been enforced since 2004. So, when we hear the national anthem being played on the TV, we know that the news is about to start. It will also be ironic when a gold medal for China was achieved in the Olympics just before a news broadcast. Everyone watching that particular channel will be able to feel proud for the athlete.
This has been expanded to radio when three radio stations play the anthem at 8am.
If this rule is enforced in the UK, BBC will play God Save the queen at 6pm, before the News at Six. ITV follows half an hour later.
Should this happen in the UK?
Last edited by 8013; 1 month ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. It’s a ridiculous thing to do.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No? You'd just be pissing a lot of paying customers off. (Yeah I can just see everyone in Scotland, Wales and NI gathering to God Save The Queen )
YaliaV123
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you trolling?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
HK is very different to the UK culturally.

Here, people would complain.
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well they used to do this at the cinema when I was little!
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Scotney)
Well they used to do this at the cinema when I was little!
I don't remember that but I do remember when every film used to have an interval
UnclePete
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How about going back to playing Imperial Echoes, as used to be the case on Sunday nights with the old BBC Home or World Service if I remember right, back in prehistoric times when I was a very young kid?
Now that would get the Woke brigade having kittens....
Last edited by UnclePete; 1 month ago
barnet1471
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think if it was to be done, it would be seen in a similar way to the government putting flags in minister's offices before press conferences or interviews. A government flying the flag whilst their actions are anything except patriotic.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by UnclePete)
How about going back to playing Imperial Echoes, as used to be the case on Sunday nights with the BBC World Service if I remember right, back in prehistoric times when I was a very young kid?
I wonder why that went out of fashion :confused:
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by barnet1471)
I think if it was to be done, it would be seen in a similar way to the government putting flags in minister's offices before press conferences or interviews. A government flying the flag whilst their actions are anything except patriotic.
I mean don't be going giving them ideas!
UnclePete
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
I wonder why that went out of fashion :confused:
Sign of the times !
Other countries seem from my travels to be much more patriotic in that sense.
In England at least, apart from some extreme fringe elements that show their ugly side from time to time, patriotism has been relatively modest and understated, reflecting the national character: whatever people's views on the royalty, the Queen herself, like just about all that rapidly disappearing generation, is an exemplar of this.
Last edited by UnclePete; 1 month ago
Asha_m
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That'd really please Nicola Sturgeon.
barnet1471
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by UnclePete)
Sign of the times !
Other countries seem from my travels to be much more patriotic in that sense.
In England at least, apart from some extreme fringe elements that show their ugly side from time to time, patriotism has been relatively modest and understated, reflecting the national character: whatever people's views on the royalty, the Queen herself, like just about all that rapidly disappearing generation, is an exemplar of this.
Unfortunately the flag in a way has been hijacked by fringe elements, especially the Union flag. Everyone in a way in the UK has allegiance to two flags, the vast majority being the English cross of St George and the Union flag. There may also be the influence of not having been physically conquered since 1066 and having had no violent revolution. Except for the division of Ireland in 1921, it has been the same territory effectively since 1603.
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Personally, I think the BBC would go bust if they started doing that everyday - especially considering the amount of complaints they got for the amount of footage they showed regarding Prince Philip (and that was only done for like a week)

Spoiler:
Show
Moved to tv shows
Darya.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Absolutely not lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (201)
43.79%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (51)
11.11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.63%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (98)
21.35%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (47)
10.24%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.88%

Watched Threads