The Student Room Group

Sonic or Mario?

Back in the 2005’s I was a big Mario Fan! Adored Princess Daisy and was obsessed with Mario Bros Wii (2006). Then all of a sudden, I sat down watching Sonic X on 4J Studio TV show, and now a supreme mentalist on the Sonic franchise! Best Game ever played: Sonic Adventure 2!!
However, I’m still a Big Fan of both Mario and Sonic, I believe even in my worst childhood times, I always had something to shape me up and work for it, up to now.
What do you guys think? Who (Mario or Sonic) would be your most favourite childhood game? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Sonic because those games were actually beatable.

*Single tear*
I can never win a Sonic game so it’ll have to be Mario for me :lol:
I'm gunna have to say Mario, simply because of the game Paper Mario, this game was one of the first games I ever hardcore tried to beat, dedicating lots of my childhood gaming time to.
Original post by ozzyoscy
Sonic because those games were actually beatable.

*Single tear*

Ooh god, I still remember this 😢💘
Original post by Dracorius
I'm gunna have to say Mario, simply because of the game Paper Mario, this game was one of the first games I ever hardcore tried to beat, dedicating lots of my childhood gaming time to.

Ooh, Paper Mario is good too !! :smile: You must of heard the new Paper Mario Origami King!
Reply 6
I haven't played much Sonic but I do know that Mario is my favourite game franchise, with SMGalaxy as my favourite video game of all time. I need to play more Sonic lol
Reply 7
As for me, Mario is much more interesting than Sonic
Mario games over Sonic!

Just because Mario has the better gameplays in contrast to Sonic. What is the use of highspeed Sonic, if there are so many stages with hindrances and precipices to stop a blue hedgehog?
Original post by Kallisto
Mario games over Sonic!

Just because Mario has the better gameplays in contrast to Sonic. What is the use of highspeed Sonic, if there are so many stages with hindrances and precipices to stop a blue hedgehog?

What is the use of jumping Mario, if there are so many stages with hindrances and precipices to stop a jump man?
Original post by ozzyoscy
What is the use of jumping Mario, if there are so many stages with hindrances and precipices to stop a jump man?

It is about the principle. When I would like to play Sonic, the hedgehog should run, run and run again (and jump sometimes). But almost every game in Sonic is designed in that way Sonic can't just run. There are so many hindrances that his speed has to be decreased to overcome them and to be successful in a stage. As in the Mario games. So instead of playing Sonic, I can play a certain Mario game right out of the gate! Because there is no difference between them.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Kallisto
It is about the principle. When I would like to play Sonic, the hedgehog should run, run and run again (and jump sometimes). But almost every game in Sonic is designed in that way Sonic can't just run. There are so many hindrances that his speed has to be decreased to overcome them and to be successful in a stage. As in the Mario games. So instead of playing Sonic, I can play a certain Mario game right out of the gate! Because there is no difference between them.

Games after the Mega Drive era are badly laid out, but that era of games you can zoom through nearly all the levels.

(Plus it looks and sounds better.)
Reply 12
Original post by username5340678
Back in the 2005’s I was a big Mario Fan! Adored Princess Daisy and was obsessed with Mario Bros Wii (2006). Then all of a sudden, I sat down watching Sonic X on 4J Studio TV show, and now a supreme mentalist on the Sonic franchise! Best Game ever played: Sonic Adventure 2!!
However, I’m still a Big Fan of both Mario and Sonic, I believe even in my worst childhood times, I always had something to shape me up and work for it, up to now.
What do you guys think? Who (Mario or Sonic) would be your most favourite childhood game? :smile:

I had a mega drive and a gameboy

the sonic games on the megadrive were better than the mario gameboy games. I played mario on the snes too but still preferred sonic as a kid

these days though sonic has failed to evolve..., it just doesn't work well 3d ....but mario has gone from strenght to strenght ...so these days definitely mario
I prefer playing 2D Sonic over 2D Mario games and 3D Mario over Sonics. From a childhood point of view it's probably Sonic overall. Although, I'd much rather play as Mario in underwater areas cos he doesn't drown too quickly.
Original post by noggins
I prefer playing 2D Sonic over 2D Mario games and 3D Mario over Sonics. From a childhood point of view it's probably Sonic overall. Although, I'd much rather play as Mario in underwater areas cos he doesn't drown too quickly.

Another point is that Sonic is very slow underwater, his fast legs are useless in that surrounding. Mario on the other side is pretty well underwater, especially with his frog suit. :biggrin:
Reply 15

Definitely Sonic. Big fan.
Luigi

Id say sonic for sure,but mario is probably more of an iconic character.and i cant wait for sonic frontiers
Sonic, in all aspects except music, I believe, outperforms Mario. What is the most common complaint about Mario? That the New series makes use of visual aesthetics?

Even after Black Knight, the stories just became farcical comedies, and Colors embraced the "Sonic is a meme and character people mock, also **** any character newer than Amy" mode.

Quick Reply

Latest