Do these sound like poor job conditions? Was I right to quit?

Watch
Violet103
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I worked for a few months for a company that supports people with learning difficulties and autism, or physical disabilities.
We were never allocated breaks, even on 13 hour shifts we were never told that we could take X amount of time for a break. Granted, there was time to sit down and to eat but no designated breaks, nor were you allowed to leave the house you worked at unless to buy something for the clients.
No staff room or area, our meals had to be eaten amongst the clients. In the first house I worked at some of them would take our food or just touch it, if i was eating one of the clients would always come and hover around me and try to touch it so I had to keep telling her to go sit down, I know it's not their fault and they have special needs it just meant you couldn't really relax.
No designated staff bathroom, toilet shared with service users and the first house I worked at didn't even have locks on the bathroom door.
Another reason I left was that in my last service it was a large team who were all nice people but very extroverted.
We were all in one room together all day and there was constant talking, lunch was always sat together talking etc. And there was zero downtime or break from it. I am quite quiet and introverted and really struggled in these settings, it was literally me and then 6 big personalities who were very outgoing.
I think I did the right thing for me leaving even though it was a shame, has anyone else worked in situations like these or in supported living?
amethyst2004
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,
it sounds like you definitely made the right decision, it clearly wasn’t having a good impact on you and they sound like *****y conditions,are you looking for another job?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Violet103)
I worked for a few months for a company that supports people with learning difficulties and autism, or physical disabilities.
We were never allocated breaks, even on 13 hour shifts we were never told that we could take X amount of time for a break. Granted, there was time to sit down and to eat but no designated breaks, nor were you allowed to leave the house you worked at unless to buy something for the clients.
No staff room or area, our meals had to be eaten amongst the clients. In the first house I worked at some of them would take our food or just touch it, if i was eating one of the clients would always come and hover around me and try to touch it so I had to keep telling her to go sit down, I know it's not their fault and they have special needs it just meant you couldn't really relax.
No designated staff bathroom, toilet shared with service users and the first house I worked at didn't even have locks on the bathroom door.
Another reason I left was that in my last service it was a large team who were all nice people but very extroverted.
We were all in one room together all day and there was constant talking, lunch was always sat together talking etc. And there was zero downtime or break from it. I am quite quiet and introverted and really struggled in these settings, it was literally me and then 6 big personalities who were very outgoing.
I think I did the right thing for me leaving even though it was a shame, has anyone else worked in situations like these or in supported living?
It clearly didn't work for you as a working environment, and thats fine, you made the right decision for you. However, these organisations are very carefully managed and have regular external scrutiny, what you describe sounds perfectly normal for the situation and task.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Care work is rife with this type of poor working conditions but there are better employers to be found. I think you did the right thing if you are not enjoying it. Join a TU too for advice and support if needed
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.76%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.2%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.63%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.49%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.76%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise