Would this be rude (references)?

Watch
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So after my first year I changed course at university. It was a minor switch but meant I got assigned another personal tutor. I hadn't kept my previous personal tutor up to date on it, (because I was absolutely 100% sure so didn't see a need to, and I didn't need his formal approval or anything) and went through with the change without talking to him about it.

I haven't got in touch with him since which I regret now (wish I'd popped him an email to thank him for being my tutor), but I'll need another referee for a masters applications and he's really the only person I can ask. Would this seem rude? Is there anything I should say to mitigate doing the course switch behind his back? I might be overthinking this. He seemed to have a generally high opinion of me prior to the switch.
Last edited by _gcx; 4 weeks ago
tabshiftspace
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by _gcx)
So after my first year I changed course at university. It was a minor switch but meant I got assigned another personal tutor. I hadn't kept my previous personal tutor up to date on it, (because I was absolutely 100% sure so didn't see a need to, and I didn't need his formal approval or anything) and went through with the change without talking to him about it.

I haven't got in touch with him since which I regret now (wish I'd popped him an email to thank him for being my tutor), but I'll need another referee for a masters applications and he's really the only person I can ask. Would this seem rude? Is there anything I should say to mitigate doing the course switch behind his back? I might be overthinking this. He seemed to have a generally high opinion of me prior to the switch.
Personally, I wouldn't worry. Ask the question. If he remembers you were capable then great. If he doesn't then you wouldn't be the only one. These people deal with hundreds of students throughout their careers. They've seen it all and it's no skin off their nose.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (21)
30.88%
No (47)
69.12%

Watched Threads