I have parents evening next week

Watch
RainbowShine123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I feel really anxious about it because I don't want to be a disappointment to my parents. Due to covid, parents evening is going to be online this year for my school like it has been for a lot of other schools. I feel worried that I am going to end up getting awful feedback although I try really hard at school. The subjects that I feel most worried about are Dance, Science and Photography. I feel worried about Dance because my mum does not exactly have a very high opinion of the teacher she will be speaking to (I have 2 dance teachers at school but only got an appointment with 1 of my dance teachers) and I also have been struggling a lot with anxiety but I don't want it to be thought of as laziness. I feel worried about Science because of the very high expectations of me and I am also really shy in the lessons although I do work very hard. I feel worried about Photography because I usually talk to the teacher about personal stuff that is on my mind (she said that it is okay to talk to her about it as she knows what I am going through) and I keep on worrying that she will tell my mum. My dad never comes to parents evening and he isn't even involved in anything to do with my school. However, there were no appointments left for Maths or English so that is sort of a relief for me as I am not exactly amazing with Maths and I usually can't focus very well in class during English (noisy classmates, anxiety and I sometimes struggle with the classwork- particularly when it comes to analysis stuff or essays.) Parents Evening is on Thursday so I will let everyone know how it goes.
Asha_m
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My friend, do u want to hear what I really think or some empty words of reassurance?
RainbowShine123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Asha_m)
My friend, do u want to hear what I really think or some empty words of reassurance?
What you really think.
Asha_m
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by RainbowShine123)
What you really think.
You are really and truly screwed.
RainbowShine123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Asha_m)
You are really and truly screwed.
Why am I screwed? I am usually a good student. It's just my lack of confidence that stops me from achieving my full potential. If any of my teachers had major concerns either about behaviour, classwork, safety or my wellbeing then they would have contacted my mum straight away rather than waiting until parents evening. And there haven't been any emails or phone calls of concern from my teachers (well except from my old Science teacher as I was behind with some homework but I managed to catch up and she doesn't teach me anymore.)
Asha_m
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by RainbowShine123)
Why am I screwed? I am usually a good student. It's just my lack of confidence that stops me from achieving my full potential. If any of my teachers had major concerns either about behaviour, classwork, safety or my wellbeing then they would have contacted my mum straight away rather than waiting until parents evening. And there haven't been any emails or phone calls of concern from my teachers (well except from my old Science teacher as I was behind with some homework but I managed to catch up and she doesn't teach me anymore.)
I was referring to your mental wellbeing. Your grades may be positive and good, but in the long term, having low confidence and anxiety will cause you harm.
RainbowShine123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Parents Evening is going really well at the moment and I feel proud of myself. Just got one more appointment to go (Science) so hopefully that will also go okay.
RainbowShine123
Rep:
?
However the main concern has been my lack of confidence which is something I knew would be mentioned. The subject I have had the best feedback for is Health and Social Care (the teacher said that I was doing really well and I couldn't do better) which made me feel good because that is a subject that I am really passionate about and put a lot of effort into (I put in lots of effort in all subjects as well!)
RainbowShine123
Rep:
?
My parents weren't actually able to talk to my Maths teacher or to my English teacher as appointments were fully booked already for Maths and English but my mum got an email from my Maths teacher today. Let's just say it was not amazing but not absolutely rubbish.

Positives: No behavioural concerns
Negatives: Went down from a level 6 to a level 4, I need to be more confident and I need to try and avoid asking classmates for help and try and ask the teacher for help instead if needed (I sort of feel scared of my Maths teacher though because she can get angry really easily and sometimes insults the class.)

I really struggle with revision methods and a lot of the stuff that has affected my grades is that in the most recent exam, a lot of the stuff was based on what I learnt in year 9 and I had quite a disrupted year 9 (moving maths class part way through the year due to severe bullying and also lockdown) so I didn't know as much as everyone else. I feel really stupid now but I want to be able to improve.

Not yet heard anything from my English teacher though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (78)
29%
No (191)
71%

Watched Threads