Asha_m
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I've been stuck on this for a while now. My school has this sort of three month period where after choosing GCSE's you have a chance to change your mind, and it's nearly over. I chose history, since I used to find that interesting, but hearing about the amount of writing that involved got me scared. Geography is boring, but have heard its easier.

I'm really confused now. I just want to know which one is easier/involves less work. I'm not aiming for a career in humanities or science anyway.
Last edited by Asha_m; 4 weeks ago
Kuthi
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Asha_m)
I've been stuck on this for a while now. My school has this sort of three month period where after choosing GCSE's you have a chance to change your mind, and it's nearly over. I chose history, since I used to find that interesting, but hearing about the amount of writing that involved got me scared. Geography is boring, but have heard its easier.

I'm really confused now. I just want to know which one is easier/involves less work. I'm not aiming for a career in humanities or science anyway.
Personally do what interests you more, if you put the work and effort in then you will be fine. It may seem scary but its normal you will adjust to the work load and writing. Because when it comes to revising you would prefer to revise the one that you enjoy more otherwise your not going to have any motivation.

Idk if this helps lol
Victoriavioletta
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
geography is so boring wouldn’t recommend
Asha_m
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kuthi)
Personally do what interests you more, if you put the work and effort in then you will be fine. It may seem scary but its normal you will adjust to the work load and writing. Because when it comes to revising you would prefer to revise the one that you enjoy more otherwise your not going to have any motivation.

Idk if this helps lol
Thanks for your advice. I'm sorry, I just got sidetracked by your username. Kuthi. Isn't that the word for bi*ch in Urdu? lol I dunno if you meant it like that or not.
Last edited by Asha_m; 4 weeks ago
Asha_m
Rep:
?
(Original post by Victoriavioletta)
geography is so boring wouldn’t recommend
I know
Starfish13
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Hey! Do whichever you would enjoy more and used to get higher marks in. If you like history then it doesnt rly matter that there is a lot of writing. Even if geography is easier but you find it boring you r less likely to pay attention to it in and ur grades may drop in it
Hope that helps x
anon1830486
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
history in most schools is popular whereby most students take it because it is highly valued by universities and it is challenging but worth a go to do at gcse as its really good

if you think you not good at history then do geography its alright and boring you like tectonics and that....
joyceemx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

If you think history is interesting - choose history. I do geography right now and it is definitely easier - ngl, it is quite boring, but if you have a really good teaching who is passionate about the subject, you'll enjoy it. Just choose the subject you're interested in the most because then you'll probably get a better grade in it. Don't worry about how hard things will be, because gcses are typically just a memory test and it's not that difficult.
saskiacrumpton
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I do geography and I love it, it depends on your own preference but i also find geography is more helpful in other subjects (mainly chemistry and biology) because the topics overlap and if you're someone who wants to do minimalist work it can help a lot as you can apply knowledge from one subject to another
I do have friends who do both and some say geography's easier some say history's easier but from my own understanding its easier to pass geography than history because there are a lot of smaller mark answers whereas history has 16/20 mark questions however you should just take the subject which you prefer more because when it comes down to revising you need to pick a subject you actually want to revise
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I know
Can't you choose something else? Have you looked at the spec and sample exam papers?
Asha_m
Rep:
?
(Original post by joyceemx)
If you think history is interesting - choose history. I do geography right now and it is definitely easier - ngl, it is quite boring, but if you have a really good teaching who is passionate about the subject, you'll enjoy it. Just choose the subject you're interested in the most because then you'll probably get a better grade in it. Don't worry about how hard things will be, because gcses are typically just a memory test and it's not that difficult.
If I put my hand up in class and forget my question when I'm the first one picked I dread to think what I'll score on GCSEs.
Asha_m
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Can't you choose something else? Have you looked at the spec and sample exam papers?
The school says we have to choose one of them or both.
username5713258
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

I take GCSE Geography (I'm in yr11) and I have finished the course my class is just doing loads of tests now for evidence for our grades and stuff, But as a whole I loved the course and found it quite easy I would say the hardest part of geography is probably the weather topic I found that I struggled with it a bit but again as a whole its not too hard. (the exam board I do is Eduqas B)
joyceemx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If I put my hand up in class and forget my question when I'm the first one picked I dread to think what I'll score on GCSEs.
You've still got 2 years to improve, that's two years of revision and its not as spontaneous as being asked a question in class
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The school says we have to choose one of them or both.
Why? There's no real reason for this restriction ...
Bookworm_88
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I did both.

History:
- I found it a lot more interesting and fun than geog. altho harder
- A wide range of topics covered (Period study - I did Elizabethan England - Thematic study - I did medicine and 2 other studies I forgot what they were called: I did cold war and Germany)
- A LOT more harder, due to ALL the facts and the way you're supposed to answer the different exam questions

Geog:
- I found it A LOT more easier altho it was kind of boring
- Have to learn case studies rather than dates/people/events
- Do fieldwork
- Different exam questions
- Have to remember different processes for stuff like plate tectonics
- physical, human geog
- Lots of random stuff

I personally enjoyed history more, tho I was better at geo
Asha_m
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Why? There's no real reason for this restriction ...
I don't know, they're always going on about how we have to absolutely smash GCSEs because we get 'the best results in the borough' and how so many students go on to the school's 6th form before going to Russel Group universities. Basically, if we struggle, we're a disgrace to the school.
Asha_m
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bookworm_88)
I did both.

History:
- I found it a lot more interesting and fun than geog. altho harder
- A wide range of topics covered (Period study - I did Elizabethan England - Thematic study - I did medicine and 2 other studies I forgot what they were called: I did cold war and Germany)
- A LOT more harder, due to ALL the facts and the way you're supposed to answer the different exam questions

Geog:
- I found it A LOT more easier altho it was kind of boring
- Have to learn case studies rather than dates/people/events
- Do fieldwork
- Different exam questions
- Have to remember different processes for stuff like plate tectonics
- physical, human geog
- Lots of random stuff

I personally enjoyed history more, tho I was better at geo
Thanks for your advice, seeing as you've done both!
Kuthi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks for your advice. I'm sorry, I just got sidetracked by your username. Kuthi. Isn't that the word for bi*ch in Urdu? lol I dunno if you meant it like that or not.
Yeah lol it is meant to mean ***** (in my case Punjabi but Urdu works too!) its a long ongoing joke I have with my mates.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't know, they're always going on about how we have to absolutely smash GCSEs because we get 'the best results in the borough' and how so many students go on to the school's 6th form before going to Russel Group universities. Basically, if we struggle, we're a disgrace to the school.
Oh dear ... obviously data obsessed ... RG is meaningless too. They should be focusing on their students welfare ... [I'm a teacher]

Look at the sample papers to check on the writing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (93)
28.44%
No (234)
71.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise