Advice needed on a maths based apprenticeship vs Uni

Watch
josh111
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I'm in Year 12 studying maths, further maths, physics, french and predicted A*A*A*A.

What high level degree apprenticeships are out there, focused on maths? Would you recommend a degree apprenticeship over studying maths at Oxford/Warwick type of prestigious uni?

Ideally looking into a well paid career, but I really don't want to work a boring job. I don't know what I want to persue as a career, so I'm not sure whether an apprenticeship is something I should do, vs the flexibility of a degree from a prestigious Uni.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Doubt there are any degree apprenticeships in "maths" because maths by itself isn't really an industry specific subject. The content of a maths degree is very abstract and sort of the point of it is that it's not necessarily very applied (even the "applied maths" modules tend to be much more abstract than e.g. A-level Maths or engineering/physics degree mathematical methods).

So the companies offering apprenticeships have little need or interest in offering an apprenticeship in what is essentially an academic subject, compared to a more vocational/applied one (like engineering, which is taught in an academic way but is fundamentally a vocation with industry applications). So really your options would be something like engineering degree apprenticeships or something in the computing realm, for mathematical degree apprenticeships, or maybe an actuarial apprenticeship. But it won't even come close to the type of maths you would study on a maths degree.

As for whether it's better or worse to do a degree apprenticeship rather than a degree, it depends on your goals. If you know you want to work as e.g. an accountant, actuary, engineer, etc, then it makes a lot of sense to go the apprenticeship route as it can save you time in the long run to qualify in your chosen profession, and you'll be working and earning from the start. If you wanted to go into academia (i.e. do a PhD etc) then a uni degree is kind of expected and realistically the best preparation for that. If you aren't sure whether you want to go into a specific profession or keep your options open for e.g. academia you could always start a degree apprenticeship then if you don't like it, leave and then apply to uni (which is in some ways easier than the reverse, for various reasons).

That said since you don't have even a general idea of what profession you might want to work in, you may be best off doing a degree and doing internships and work experience in different fields as you study for that degree to get an idea of what you might like to do when you graduate.
josh111
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Doubt there are any degree apprenticeships in "maths" because maths by itself isn't really an industry specific subject. The content of a maths degree is very abstract and sort of the point of it is that it's not necessarily very applied (even the "applied maths" modules tend to be much more abstract than e.g. A-level Maths or engineering/physics degree mathematical methods).

So the companies offering apprenticeships have little need or interest in offering an apprenticeship in what is essentially an academic subject, compared to a more vocational/applied one (like engineering, which is taught in an academic way but is fundamentally a vocation with industry applications). So really your options would be something like engineering degree apprenticeships or something in the computing realm, for mathematical degree apprenticeships, or maybe an actuarial apprenticeship. But it won't even come close to the type of maths you would study on a maths degree.

As for whether it's better or worse to do a degree apprenticeship rather than a degree, it depends on your goals. If you know you want to work as e.g. an accountant, actuary, engineer, etc, then it makes a lot of sense to go the apprenticeship route as it can save you time in the long run to qualify in your chosen profession, and you'll be working and earning from the start. If you wanted to go into academia (i.e. do a PhD etc) then a uni degree is kind of expected and realistically the best preparation for that. If you aren't sure whether you want to go into a specific profession or keep your options open for e.g. academia you could always start a degree apprenticeship then if you don't like it, leave and then apply to uni (which is in some ways easier than the reverse, for various reasons).

That said since you don't have even a general idea of what profession you might want to work in, you may be best off doing a degree and doing internships and work experience in different fields as you study for that degree to get an idea of what you might like to do when you graduate.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the help. Is it possible to apply for both apprenticeships and uni, then make the choice based on what offers you recieve?
Gent2324
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
if money is what youre after, some apprenticeships can get you into 60k+ jobs after 4 years. degree can get you higher if you have the right internships, both are rare.

if you dont know what career you want, dont do an apprenticeship. apprenticeships are meant for people who are confident that they want to do X as a career, degrees allow you to get internships to help decide what you want to do, apprenticeships dont do that.
Last edited by Gent2324; 4 weeks ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by josh111)
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the help. Is it possible to apply for both apprenticeships and uni, then make the choice based on what offers you recieve?
Yes, you apply to apprenticeships directly with the companies offering them, while unis you apply to through UCAS; there is nothing preventing you applying to both

Bear in mind though, they may have different deadlines for confirming offers!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (115)
27.51%
England (146)
34.93%
Belgium (32)
7.66%
Germany (42)
10.05%
Spain (10)
2.39%