username5710157
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I am struggling to find appropiate quotes for the theme of my maceth mini assesment. I have been told it will be on Macbeth, Lady Mabeth and their relationship but I don't know what quotes are best to analyse and learn. Online all I can see are either lists of 5 quotes or 100s or unneccessary quotes. Thanks in advance for any help
emmayyo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
In regards to Macbeth and Lady Macbeth's relationship, we see that the gender roles in their relationship are reversed - lady m calls upon the spirits to 'unsex' her and 'take her milk for gall', yet macbeth is described as 'too full o' the milk of human kindness to catch the nearest way'. This contrasts them and presents macbeth as having more stereotypically 'feminine' qualities whereas Lady macbeth is full of steely resolve and ambition This subversion of normality creates an ominous tone in the play as it messes with the 'natural order' of things.

Another quote that may be important is when Lady macbeth is persuading macbeth to kill king duncan in act 1 scene 7: 'when you durst do it, then you were a man'. She uses her manipulative qualities to influence macbeth towards killing king duncan. This represents the nature of their relationship (basically how toxic it is) and highlights lady macbeths monstrous/manipulative qualities (connects her to the witches). Lady macbeth is insistent on gaining power and the only way to do this is through her husband.

You may also want to talk about how macbeth and lady macbeth are the most accurate representation of a couple in the play, they lean on and rely on each other. Where macduff and lady macduff have no sense of intimacy in their relationship whatsoever (lady macduff's only purpose is to care for her children and remain a respectable and docile housewife), lady macbeth and macbeth share their problems and have similar goals that they work towards together. (i can't think of quotes off the top of my head but i'm sure there are lots out there - you may want to check act 1 scene 5)

some other important quotes i can think of: 'bring forth men-children only' (macbeth) Macbeth thinks his wife's ambition is so strong that she would only be able to give birth to males due to her enhanced masculinity

'a little water clears us of this deed' (lady m) she reassures her husband (shows how they lean on/support eachother)

'my dearest chuck' (macbeth) towards the end of the play macbeth refers to lady m as 'chuck' which is a slang term for chicken - a helpless bird which poses no threat (he sees her as weak and powerless). far removed from his earlier comment about her only bringing forth male children due to her ambition.

Hope this helps!

(Original post by User18041982)
Hi, I am struggling to find appropiate quotes for the theme of my maceth mini assesment. I have been told it will be on Macbeth, Lady Mabeth and their relationship but I don't know what quotes are best to analyse and learn. Online all I can see are either lists of 5 quotes or 100s or unneccessary quotes. Thanks in advance for any help
username5710157
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by emmayyo)
In regards to Macbeth and Lady Macbeth's relationship, we see that the gender roles in their relationship are reversed - lady m calls upon the spirits to 'unsex' her and 'take her milk for gall', yet macbeth is described as 'too full o' the milk of human kindness to catch the nearest way'. This contrasts them and presents macbeth as having more stereotypically 'feminine' qualities whereas Lady macbeth is full of steely resolve and ambition This subversion of normality creates an ominous tone in the play as it messes with the 'natural order' of things.

Another quote that may be important is when Lady macbeth is persuading macbeth to kill king duncan in act 1 scene 7: 'when you durst do it, then you were a man'. She uses her manipulative qualities to influence macbeth towards killing king duncan. This represents the nature of their relationship (basically how toxic it is) and highlights lady macbeths monstrous/manipulative qualities (connects her to the witches). Lady macbeth is insistent on gaining power and the only way to do this is through her husband.

You may also want to talk about how macbeth and lady macbeth are the most accurate representation of a couple in the play, they lean on and rely on each other. Where macduff and lady macduff have no sense of intimacy in their relationship whatsoever (lady macduff's only purpose is to care for her children and remain a respectable and docile housewife), lady macbeth and macbeth share their problems and have similar goals that they work towards together. (i can't think of quotes off the top of my head but i'm sure there are lots out there - you may want to check act 1 scene 5)

some other important quotes i can think of: 'bring forth men-children only' (macbeth) Macbeth thinks his wife's ambition is so strong that she would only be able to give birth to males due to her enhanced masculinity

'a little water clears us of this deed' (lady m) she reassures her husband (shows how they lean on/support eachother)

'my dearest chuck' (macbeth) towards the end of the play macbeth refers to lady m as 'chuck' which is a slang term for chicken - a helpless bird which poses no threat (he sees her as weak and powerless). far removed from his earlier comment about her only bringing forth male children due to her ambition.

Hope this helps!
Thanks so much
emoira
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hopefully some of these quotes may help

Initially, they a presented to have a loving and functioning relationship but there is an underlying imbalance in power and opinion.
“My dearest partner of greatness”
‘partner of greatness’ - Macbeth wants to share his lust for power with his wife.
‘partner’ - there is a mutual reliance in their relationship, he thinks to her as an equal or comrade. (During the Jacobean era women were seen as property of men and women had no legal rights in marriage)
The statement is made in a letter Macbeth writes to his wife - highlights his trust in her as he has taken time after being on the battle field and with the King to write to her.
Audience first hear from Lady Macbeth when she is reading from her spouse’s letter showing how close they are.

“Great Glamis, worthy Cawdor, /Greater than both”
“It is too full o’ th’ milk of human kindness”
“Thou wouldst be great, / Art not without ambition”
“Was the hope drunk/ Wherein you dress’d yourself?”
“Prithee, peace: I dare do all that may become a man”
“When you durst do it, then you were a man;”

As the story continues, there is a degradation in Macbeth and Lady Macbeth’s relationship through the development of an anxious atmosphere and a divide in their opinions.
“Did not you speak? /When? /Now. /As I descended?” - stop start rhythm evokes a feeling of uncertainty between the characters. Macbeth’s question ‘When?’ and his wife’s one-word response show through how reactive and easily alarmed each character is.
“I could not say ‘Amen’, /When they did say ‘God bless us!’/Consider it not so deeply.”
“Will all great Neptune’s ocean wash this blood/ Clean from my hand? No”
“A little water clears us of the dead”
- Give me’ ‘go get’ ‘must’ the use of imperative and modal verbs shows Lady Macbeth to be belittling Macbeth.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i found litcharts really helpful for quotes
username5710157
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by absolutelysprout)
i found litcharts really helpful for quotes
Thanks, will look into that now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (107)
27.58%
England (132)
34.02%
Belgium (30)
7.73%
Germany (41)
10.57%
Spain (8)
2.06%