HM314
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Can someone please help me with unseen poetry. I don't understand how you are meant to structure it and my teacher keeps going on about finding the meaning, but nothing in the poems she has used to help me has a meaning, at least I can't find one. I have test on unseen on Monday and I'm really worried as it goes towards my TAGs grades but I have no idea what to do and how to write an answer.
Zuzanna_10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you know what the theme of the poems will be? The theme in my school was conflict in unseen poetry. If you know the theme or the poems you will be analysing I help you
el.gardiner
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HM314)
Can someone please help me with unseen poetry. I don't understand how you are meant to structure it and my teacher keeps going on about finding the meaning, but nothing in the poems she has used to help me has a meaning, at least I can't find one. I have test on unseen on Monday and I'm really worried as it goes towards my TAGs grades but I have no idea what to do and how to write an answer.
The question for the poem will mention the theme so try and look for links between the theme mentioned and the poem itself. My teacher gave me 6 steps when it comes to crafting a response to an unseen poetry question. Look at the title and what significance it holds and its possible use for context, look at the content, the imagery created (through the use of senses) and the effect it has, how its structured (so the connection between stanzas, how its been created and laid out and how it may effect the overall tone/mood of the poem and how that links to the theme), the language used (so devices) and the writers point. Trust me ive always struggled with poetry and the reason why people write it but there will always be clues. I can link a few poems that i find quite easy to annotate and craft a response to a possible question if youd like me to
HM314
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by el.gardiner)
The question for the poem will mention the theme so try and look for links between the theme mentioned and the poem itself. My teacher gave me 6 steps when it comes to crafting a response to an unseen poetry question. Look at the title and what significance it holds and its possible use for context, look at the content, the imagery created (through the use of senses) and the effect it has, how its structured (so the connection between stanzas, how its been created and laid out and how it may effect the overall tone/mood of the poem and how that links to the theme), the language used (so devices) and the writers point. Trust me ive always struggled with poetry and the reason why people write it but there will always be clues. I can link a few poems that i find quite easy to annotate and craft a response to a possible question if youd like me to
I would love that! I always struggle with what to do in unseen poetry as its more about feelings and meanings, which I don't grasp in time.
el.gardiner
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HM314)
I would love that! I always struggle with what to do in unseen poetry as its more about feelings and meanings, which I don't grasp in time.
i recommend Catrin by Gillian Clarke (the language isnt too complex but the imagery may be hard to comprehend so just pm me if youre struggling) and another poem which is really simple is First Ice by Andrei Voznesensky. If youre looking for something a bit more challenging, Wind by Ted Hughes is great. If you need any help at all, just message me and id be happy to assist!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (88)
38.1%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
10.82%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (17)
7.36%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (56)
24.24%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (28)
12.12%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7.36%

Watched Threads