lostgirl93
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey! I'm an EU student and was wondering why are some universities considered more competitive than others. So for example Warwick requires AAA for a course and the acceptance rate is super low, but Leeds also requires AAA and the acceptance rate is higher? Warwick is up higher in the rankings than Leeds, so why entry requirements are the same? I thought that once you get an offer for AAA, the uni has to accept you when you achieve AAA.Basically, in my home country, a good diploma score is considered to be around 85-90% yet on the website of Uni of Edinburgh it is said that around 50% is enough to get in. Imperial says the same thing and is considered one of the most competitive unis in the UK? I don't get it....
username5340678
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lostgirl93)
Hey! I'm an EU student and was wondering why are some universities considered more competitive than others. So for example Warwick requires AAA for a course and the acceptance rate is super low, but Leeds also requires AAA and the acceptance rate is higher? Warwick is up higher in the rankings than Leeds, so why entry requirements are the same? I thought that once you get an offer for AAA, the uni has to accept you when you achieve AAA.Basically, in my home country, a good diploma score is considered to be around 85-90% yet on the website of Uni of Edinburgh it is said that around 50% is enough to get in. Imperial says the same thing and is considered one of the most competitive unis in the UK? I don't get it....
What course is this? Sounds like Medicine
StevenCheung
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Universities do research and have better research quality than the other, hence it would have better quality teaching staff.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StevenCheung)
Universities do research and have better research quality than the other, hence it would have better quality teaching staff.
That just isn't true RG does NOT correlate to good teaching.
lostgirl93
Rep:
?
(Original post by StevenCheung)
yeh i know that some unis are better than others but i don’t get how Warwick has an acceptance rate of 10% and let’s say Bath - 77% and both require AAA?
lostgirl93
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sheni77)
Noo I was looking at business degrees
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some unis want your international fees...
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeh i know that some unis are better than others but i don’t get how Warwick has an acceptance rate of 10% and let’s say Bath - 77% and both require AAA?
Where are you getting that figure from?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sheni77)
Warwick doesn't do standard undergrad medicine, only graduate entry medicine so OP is not referring to Medicine (and they later confirmed it too).
chazwomaq
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The short answer is: supply and demand. A university course has x places and expects to receive y applicants (of a certain quality). The more extreme the x:y ratio the higher the entry requirements. Research rankings play some part in applications, but there are loads of other factors too.
lostgirl93
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Where are you getting that figure from?
I just googled the acceptance rate for universities and those were the figures. For business degrees Bath has the same requirements as Warwick
lostgirl93
Rep:
?
(Original post by chazwomaq)
The short answer is: supply and demand. A university course has x places and expects to receive y applicants (of a certain quality). The more extreme the x:y ratio the higher the entry requirements. Research rankings play some part in applications, but there are loads of other factors too.
So basically those requirements are ******** then? Because at the end Warwick will accept A*A*A* only?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I just googled the acceptance rate for universities and those were the figures. For business degrees Bath has the same requirements as Warwick
In the UK acceptance rate can mean 3 different things. I suspect that you are understanding it to be the same as offer rate (the % of applications that are made an offer).

The offer rate for Warwick and Bath for business courses are both similar.

I doubt Warwick has any courses with a 10% offer rate. Their average offer rate is over 80%
username5340678
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Noo I was looking at business degrees
Ooh I see. Well here in the UK, other factors like Personal Statements (or maybe some interviews) or even GCSE or IB grades can impact on your acceptance, regardless even with 3A*’s.
I have a cousin too in Germany applying to University of Hamburg, and they only accept 85%+ Diploma scores. But here in the UK, they look for pure willingness and they make it extremely tough here!
lostgirl93
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
In the UK acceptance rate can mean 3 different things. I suspect that you are understanding it to be the same as offer rate (the % of applications that are made an offer).

The offer rate for Warwick and Bath for business courses are both similar.

I doubt Warwick has any courses with a 10% offer rate. Their average offer rate is over 80%
Well that’s the weird part. Because Warwick’s offer rate is 71% and acceptance rate is around 10%. In comparison with Bath, their offer rate is 75% and acceptance rate is 79%!!
username5340678
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well that’s the weird part. Because Warwick’s offer rate is 71% and acceptance rate is around 10%. In comparison with Bath, their offer rate is 75% and acceptance rate is 79%!!
I assume with Warwick, that they may pick the highest standards students, those will all the top grade, eventually maybe they’ll just keep doing this until all of there seats are run out (maybe the accept a small amount of people - check with the admission officer) and maybe Bath just accept a large amount of people (it’s London for sure)
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can you please link to the source website for these statistics? They sound like they’re comparing 2 different numbers.
hannychica
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I thought that once you get an offer for AAA, the uni has to accept you when you achieve AAA.
You’re right, if an applicant receives an offer for AAA, and achieves AAA, the uni has to accept them. However the acceptance rates may also include those accepted despite missing their offers, which is also possible. Higher ranking unis like Warwick are generally less likely to accept those who miss their grades since they are very likely to fill those places with students who have achieved the right grades, either through Adjustment or Clearing. But it does depend on supply and demand.
Last edited by hannychica; 1 month ago
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you get an offer of AAA the uni does have to accept you if you get AAA.
But at some Unis it’s hard to get the offer in the first place
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Overall offers, accepts and enrolment rates
Warwick https://warwick.ac.uk/about/data/tra...63_public.xlsx
Bath https://www.bath.ac.uk/publications/...turn-2019.xlsx

Table 1a and 1b has the application data
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (133)
42.09%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (36)
11.39%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.54%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (67)
21.2%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.76%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.01%

Watched Threads