Where should i apply for my first job?

Watch
mxx454
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So i’m 18 and i finish my a levels next week and want to get a job before uni. I have no experience at all so i don’t even know how write a CV. What should i include in my CV when talking about skills and stuff? And do i just say i have no previous experience? I’m probably going to apply to retail jobs and i’ve seen a handful but does anyone know places that usually hire people without experience? I have social anxiety too so i don’t know if i’m going to struggle but i think i can handle it.
Other_Owl
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Supermarkets are hiring like crazy now- is that a start?
mxx454
Rep:
?
(Original post by Other_Owl)
Supermarkets are hiring like crazy now- is that a start?
Oh i didn’t know that thanks
RambleAmple
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Supermarkets, other shops, cafes, pubs, restaurants, and the like would probably be your best bet in finding a job that doesn't require previous work experience. Now that everything is opening up it might be easier to find a job, last year when I was applying even with some previous experience I couldn't find a job March-September, even got rejected by McDonalds until I managed to get a part time evening job at a restaurant for my gap year. I'd say when looking as a younger person it is better to apply to a lot at once to get your chances of getting in higher.

For your CV, you'll have to make it clear you haven't had an official job before, but still put down your education (like GCSEs, predicted A Levels) and a little introduction to yourself, your skills, your availability etc. If you've ever done anything like volunteering or helping at school, e.g. prefect duties, guiding at open evenings, buddying, etc I'd also definitely get that in there, or things your subjects taught you, like attention to detail etc. As most of these jobs are customer facing, make sure you know what 'good customer service' entails and then match those skills to things you've done to 'show' them. Make sure you also have a good cover letter, you could make a base for each 'type' of job and then just edit it slightly for each job you apply for to make it personal. Best of luck!
mxx454
Rep:
?
(Original post by RambleAmple)
Supermarkets, other shops, cafes, pubs, restaurants, and the like would probably be your best bet in finding a job that doesn't require previous work experience. Now that everything is opening up it might be easier to find a job, last year when I was applying even with some previous experience I couldn't find a job March-September, even got rejected by McDonalds until I managed to get a part time evening job at a restaurant for my gap year. I'd say when looking as a younger person it is better to apply to a lot at once to get your chances of getting in higher.

For your CV, you'll have to make it clear you haven't had an official job before, but still put down your education (like GCSEs, predicted A Levels) and a little introduction to yourself, your skills, your availability etc. If you've ever done anything like volunteering or helping at school, e.g. prefect duties, guiding at open evenings, buddying, etc I'd also definitely get that in there, or things your subjects taught you, like attention to detail etc. As most of these jobs are customer facing, make sure you know what 'good customer service' entails and then match those skills to things you've done to 'show' them. Make sure you also have a good cover letter, you could make a base for each 'type' of job and then just edit it slightly for each job you apply for to make it personal. Best of luck!
Thank you! What’s a cover letter?
RambleAmple
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mxx454)
Thank you! What’s a cover letter?
Sort of like a CV but with a CV you could apply for basically any job without editing it much as it basically summarises all your experience, qualifications, etc. A cover letter is more personal for the particular role you are applying for, so you'd likely mention the position and company within it, and link your skills and experiences to what you'd be doing at that specific job to show you understand the role. Not everywhere asks for a cover letter, but I've found once I started to apply with cover letters I was at least more successful into getting to interview stage than with just a CV. Look up examples on Google and you'll see what I mean.
Slimjames
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Retail or any type of service industry job is probably a good place to start. You won't really have much of a resume or CV yet, so just detail the classes you've done well in, any sports or extracurricular stuff you've done, etc. A lot of those entry level type jobs don't really require any experience. They'll train you if they think you'll be a reliable worker.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So i’m 18 and i finish my a levels next week and want to get a job before uni. I have no experience at all so i don’t even know how write a CV. What should i include in my CV when talking about skills and stuff? And do i just say i have no previous experience? I’m probably going to apply to retail jobs and i’ve seen a handful but does anyone know places that usually hire people without experience? I have social anxiety too so i don’t know if i’m going to struggle but i think i can handle it.
Could you see whether McDonalds are offering anything in your area?

If there is something, it might be useful to touch base with them now; if you could do 4 months, you may find that the branch near your Uni might be able to offer you a shift or two after you have moved.

https://people.mcdonalds.co.uk/job-search/
Last edited by Kerzen; 4 weeks ago
Analyst89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Go to job agencies.

As for your social anxiety:

0) You can try nlp exercises, meditation, breathing techniques, visualisation. You can read books on this subject and there is a wealth of resources on the internet, youtube regarding this subject.

1) Relax, imagine you're just observing or there as a traveller. For example, if you are on holiday, you go there to experience and observe the attraction, you're not going to get anxious doing that are you?

2) Smile, smiling in contagious.

3) Be confident, respect yourself, accept yourself, work out, wear good clothes, feel good, focus on your passions, know you are a good person who treats people well, you have got as much right as everyone else.

Think positively, be proud of yourself, do things that make you happy, remember your happy times, what makes you confident? What makes you proud? Do you have a skill you are good at? Do things like cooking, driving, learning that increases your confidence daily. Relax.

Have good posture, body language, improve your appearance. Be happy with yourself.

4) Dress well, have good grooming, hairstyle, have good posture.

5) Just say hi or hey to people in your vicinity, who cares if they don't say anything back?

6) Ask how they are, how's everything, how's it going, what's the latest, what made them choose this course, their plans for the future, their plans for the rest of the day, weekend, how was their weekend, their day, what they will get up to, what they got up to, ask them about their hobbies, talk about what's happening. You could read up on current affairs.

Talk about the weather or did you see that sports game? Just mingle with them,

Compliment them, say "I like your jacket".

If you know they went on a holiday or somewhere, ask them about it etc.

7) Be passionate about life.

8) In group discussions, relax and talk to someone close or if someone says something you know, you can talk then. Stay relaxed.

9) Lighten up, have a laugh, laugh easily, be friendly, approachable, interested, relaxed.

10) You can write things down and come up with a rational reframed response, keep a journal of your thoughts, reach out slowly.
mxx454
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Analyst89)
Go to job agencies.

As for your social anxiety:

0) You can try nlp exercises, meditation, breathing techniques, visualisation. You can read books on this subject and there is a wealth of resources on the internet, youtube regarding this subject.

1) Relax, imagine you're just observing or there as a traveller. For example, if you are on holiday, you go there to experience and observe the attraction, you're not going to get anxious doing that are you?

2) Smile, smiling in contagious.

3) Be confident, respect yourself, accept yourself, work out, wear good clothes, feel good, focus on your passions, know you are a good person who treats people well, you have got as much right as everyone else.

Think positively, be proud of yourself, do things that make you happy, remember your happy times, what makes you confident? What makes you proud? Do you have a skill you are good at? Do things like cooking, driving, learning that increases your confidence daily. Relax.

Have good posture, body language, improve your appearance. Be happy with yourself.

4) Dress well, have good grooming, hairstyle, have good posture.

5) Just say hi or hey to people in your vicinity, who cares if they don't say anything back?

6) Ask how they are, how's everything, how's it going, what's the latest, what made them choose this course, their plans for the future, their plans for the rest of the day, weekend, how was their weekend, their day, what they will get up to, what they got up to, ask them about their hobbies, talk about what's happening. You could read up on current affairs.

Talk about the weather or did you see that sports game? Just mingle with them,

Compliment them, say "I like your jacket".

If you know they went on a holiday or somewhere, ask them about it etc.

7) Be passionate about life.

8) In group discussions, relax and talk to someone close or if someone says something you know, you can talk then. Stay relaxed.

9) Lighten up, have a laugh, laugh easily, be friendly, approachable, interested, relaxed.

10) You can write things down and come up with a rational reframed response, keep a journal of your thoughts, reach out slowly.
Thank you for this!
izzywave
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
im in the exact same boat as you, i managed to get an interview at Itsu who are hiring rn but i have to go for a second interview now which is so nerve racking. As for your CV say you did babysitting or something along those lines (even if you only did it once lol) and say what skills youve gained from that e.g being on time, being responsible, multi-tasking stuff like that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (82)
26.54%
England (105)
33.98%
Belgium (26)
8.41%
Germany (37)
11.97%
Spain (5)
1.62%