The Student Room Group

Why take a Masters if you can't afford to?

I'm seeing more and more people moan that the NHS won't fund certain masters (that aren't essential to go into that career path) or government funding to pay for living costs whilst studying.

When did it become what is an optional part of education start to gain this culture of necessity?

I worked my ass off during my undergrad to save up for my degree living costs and eventual masters and just accepted that living in central London wasn't an option for me unless I continued saving and working for another few years after undergrad (which I didn't want to do at the time).

There seems to be such a massive rush to do it or a great fear of finishing uni and not wanting to go into the world of work and people want it funded.

I believe tuition fees should be funded (Everything if it's a requirement for a career path so it's open to all), but not as a grant or something that doesn't need to be paid back. Why do people think it should be?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm seeing more and more people moan that the NHS won't fund certain masters (that aren't essential to go into that career path) or government funding to pay for living costs whilst studying.

When did it become what is an optional part of education start to gain this culture of necessity?

I worked my ass off during my undergrad to save up for my degree living costs and eventual masters and just accepted that living in central London wasn't an option for me unless I continued saving and working for another few years after undergrad (which I didn't want to do at the time).

There seems to be such a massive rush to do it or a great fear of finishing uni and not wanting to go into the world of work and people want it funded.

I believe tuition fees should be funded (Everything if it's a requirement for a career path so it's open to all), but not as a grant or something that doesn't need to be paid back. Why do people think it should be?

why should a young person go to uni gain skills which will genuinely help the economy get penalised for it
starting life out with staggering amount of debt effectively impossible to ever pay back for an education their parents received for free is ludicrous. not everyone regardless what age can work for a bit and save for a msc
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by yeetouttawindow
why should a young person go to uni gain skills which will genuinely help the economy get penalised for it
starting life out with staggering amount of debt effectively impossible to ever pay back for an education their parents received for free is ludicrous. not everyone regardless what age can work for a bit and save for a msc

If a masters is necessary for that career then obviously it should be funded to make sure it’s accessible to all. Most take a masters because they want to and can actually just enter that career a little earlier. Why should their living costs be paid for? Tuition absolutely but why living costs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending