Advice for being a more supportive friend

Watch
shzzh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
My friend was diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome last year and as much as I try to be supportive I am finding it hard to deal with. I have researched a lot about the condition so that I can respond to my friend's tics in a way that doesn't make them feel awkward. As much as I want to be supportive of my friend, I find that their condition makes me uncomfortable. Whenever they tic in class, I feel embarrassed and unable to concentrate on my work. It's got to the point where I feel really sick and have to go to the toilet so I can calm myself down. I'm not sure why my friend's tics affects me so much. I don't think I can talk to my friend about this as I am worried that it would come across as ableist. (My friend is very passionate about this topic)If you know someone with Tourette's it would be great if you could give me some advice on how to overcome this. Thank you
Levi-Jai
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i have a similar condition. like tourrets, i have uncontrollable tics. sometimes, i find that finding my tics funny, or making a laugh out of them, for example making sentences out of them, it a good way to help ease tension. or if you get embarrased by them, try thinking of it like the hiccups. you cant always tell if they are coming, you cant stop them from coming, and you cant stop them once they start.
if your friend finds them difficult to deal with, something that helps me, is knowing that ive got my friends and family to live and suppiort me, no matter how much i upset of embarrass them. or how many times i call them names
also, if im in public and accidently throw something, my friends will shout "goal!" or "bullseye!!", to make others think it was supposed to happen. maybe that will help
Last edited by Levi-Jai; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (100)
27.17%
England (123)
33.42%
Belgium (29)
7.88%
Germany (40)
10.87%
Spain (8)
2.17%