The Student Room Group

revision ideas

i'm revising for a gcse history mock on wednesday, due to it being teacher assessed grades this year our teacher has told us the content in the mock. i've revised using:
mind maps
notes from textbooks + memory
yt videos

i just need some more ideas- not flashcards as this is more of an overall knowledge and understanding mock rather than quick facts, so i don't find flashcards very useful.
how about online methods, have you checked if your course is on seneca as they are a really good way of testing knowledge and tracking what you know as well. also watching youtube videos on the topics as well as mindmaps where you just try and write down as much as you know on a topic without checking notes and then going back with your notes and adding what you missed. hope this helped
Reply 2
You could try doing a blurt page where you choose a topic and write as much as you can about it from memory whether this be dates, contextual knowledge or more general info. I know you said not flashcards but I always found Quizlet to be super helpful ~ especially for memorising dates. If you have to write essays you should also refresh or familiarise yourself with what style of question requires. Good luck!!
Original post by emoira
You could try doing a blurt page where you choose a topic and write as much as you can about it from memory whether this be dates, contextual knowledge or more general info. I know you said not flashcards but I always found Quizlet to be super helpful ~ especially for memorising dates. If you have to write essays you should also refresh or familiarise yourself with what style of question requires. Good luck!!

thank you! after i've wrote everything i can remember down, do i add stuff i forgot in a different colour?
Reply 4
Original post by ilikecatsig123
thank you! after i've wrote everything i can remember down, do i add stuff i forgot in a different colour?

Do whatever you think will be most helpful to you :smile: It's a useful way to identify your weaker points which you can then go reread the content for!!
If it's not a 'quick facts' mock, and you have already learnt some facts or stats, then do lots of practice questions. Pick questions from past papers or specimen materials which relate to the content, give them a go (preferably in timed conditions to get timing sorted out), then look at the mark scheme if there is one.
Not sure of your exam board but you could also take a look at the 2021 assessment materials released this year to students; no mark schemes but you'll see what the questions are like.
If you try a question and can't do it, revisit that section of the course i.e. learn facts, read around topic until confident.
This method helped me, I had my history mock last Tuesday :smile:
I am currently doing A-Levels and find that [ reading notes > annotating > seneca (premium if possible) > past papers (with open book so you hit the mark-scheme points) ] is the best route for revision. Don't bother with mind maps and rewriting notes, it doesn't help. If you know the content already just do past papers whilst reading out your revision guide (open book papers). Best method by far. Good Luck.

Quick Reply

Latest