Helpstudent402
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
a In the first stage, ammonia is converted into nitrogen monoxide and the following equilibrium is established.
4NH3(g)  5O2(g) ⇌ 4NO(g)  6H2O(g) ∆H  –905 kJ mol–1
In terms of redox, state what happens to the ammonia in the forward reaction.

The nitrogen in NH3 goes from an oxidiation state of -3 to +2
The hydrogen in NH3 goes from an oxidation state of +3 to +1.
So how am I meant to tell whether ammonia is oxidised or reduced ??
Ani240
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
Since the oxidation number of Nitrogen went from negative to positive it is oxidised while the hydrogen is reduced
Attached files
Helpstudent402
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Ani240)
Since the oxidation number of Nitrogen went from negative to positive it is oxidised while the hydrogen is reduced
But why as a whole is ammonia considered to be oxidised when both components of the compound have different things happening to them???
Ani240
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...IBBAF&usg=AOvV

Since NH3 is a reducing agent,it gets oxidised
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Helpstudent402)
But why as a whole is ammonia considered to be oxidised when both components of the compound have different things happening to them???
"ammonia" doesn't get oxidised. The nitrogen atom in ammonia gets oxidised.
jack_harrison
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
Might want to double check your assignment of ammonia's hydrogen oxidation state. The hydrogens in both ammonia and water are in the +1 oxidation state, so nothing happens to them during this reaction.
Last edited by jack_harrison; 6 months ago
deskochan
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
The nitrogen in NH3 goes from an oxidation state of -3 to +2 (Right)
The hydrogen in NH3 is without any change in the oxidation state.
4NH3(g) + 5O2(g) ⇌ 4NO(g) + 6H2O(g)
NH3 is a reducing agent and oxygen gas is an oxidizing agent and the oxygen is reduced by NH3 from 0 to -2.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (64)
32.65%
Yes - a trusted person (54)
27.55%
No (52)
26.53%
I'm not sure (26)
13.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise