Antimatter158
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
hello , can someone check my supporting info for a hca job band 2 and inform me if any improvements can be made. THANKS

I am applying to the NHS with the intent of acquiring a role as a healthcare assistant at King's College Hospital-Denmark Hill. The eagerness to grasp this role was a result of several reasons, mainly being my sister, a final year nursing student also at Kings College-Guy's and ST Thomas’, who also actively takes the role of healthcare assistant alongside her degree. My sister would inform me of her duties and responsibilities she would do during her shift that would range from her monitoring and recording patients’ clinical observations, taking blood samples and mainly assisting patients with daily activities. As a person who has been intrigued by the value of science as well as being curious and constantly hungry to learn science from a young age where I would constantly learn and watch science videos allowing me to broaden my knowledge, this made me figure out this role was best suited for me. After having completed A levels in Biology and Chemistry in a matter of 2 months whilst working a part time job and achieving grades of BB has granted me numerous skills. These range from multi-tasking, having to juggle two subjects, stress-management where I would have to learn an incredible amount of content whilst trying to retain the knowledge and much more.
Having taken the time to read the job description, I am fully aware that I have the skills and qualities to meet the standards of the NHS. With respect to the evidence that follows, I firmly believe I can make a positive contribution to the NHS team and hold the value that all must adhere in their daily work. I am applying to this role because I believe my experiences and skills would make me a perfect candidate. I am seeking employment with an organisation who have a proud history of hard work and commitment and want to work alongside similar minded people who all strive for one goal.
With my excellent concentration skills, I can work in distressing situations whilst maintaining a resilient mind, also I am able to embrace any change in order to maintain the NHS's high standard of service. There are numerous skills that will allow me to benefit the organisation. I am a hard worker that enjoys working as a team in order to accomplish one goal. I can be trusted with confidential information and firmly believe everyone should receive the same treatment hence why I am compassionate and committed who will work hard to learn the role quickly and carry out my role with professionalism.
Having experience in a pharmacy and GP allowed me to pick up essential skills such as communication skills, where I would directly respond to customer queries, another skill was attention to detail , picked up where I would check incoming stock against delivery invoices for medication causing me to be accurate and concise, and finally learnt many IT skills where I would have to make request for patient medication and much more. Having gone to a chemistry summer school for a week at Kings College where I made artificial sunscreens was where my teamwork skills really appeared. This was clear of when me and my partner had to work together to make an effective method and carry out the experiment together. The content we were learning was new to us but with critical thinking we used our current knowledge to continue ahead.
My current position as a sales assistant and having over a years’ experience has been eye-opening for me. This is mainly because of how much of a great deal of skills I have mastered and learnt through out. These are teamwork skills, this was seen during the seasons of busy hours where I would have to work efficiently with my team in order to maximise and sustain customer satisfaction. Another prized skill I picked up is patience, which is seen where I would have to deal with customers not being happy and arguing and I would have to listen to all their concerns and issues whilst remaining calm. This allowed me put customers first representing the organisation in a positive manner, these transferrable skills would allow to me offer a first-class service to NHS patients. Throughout the journey I have seen all types of people, something very vital and invaluable for a role as a healthcare assistant making me the ideal candidate. I am now able to manage and handle distressing and sensitive situations with minimal stress, work efficiently using logical and critical thinking, work on my own using a guided path, more compassionate and focused on a task.
What sets me apart from others is I am solely focused on meeting the values of the healthcare trust. I see the core values of working together and always aiming higher with respect and dignity. What also sets me apart is I am a quick learner and able to pick up and learn the role quickly, handle stressful situations cautiously and work effectively with my team to reach one goal.
BlueLightDriver
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Antimatter158)
hello , can someone check my supporting info for a hca job band 2 and inform me if any improvements can be made. THANKS
Your supporting info needs to show how you meet the job description and personal specification. The anecdote about your sister is nice but doesn't say anything about why you can do the job - and as it's the first past of your statement, a busy recruitment assistant may not bother to read any further. You either need to cut it out, or shorten it and make it more relevant then move it later.

You need to go through the job description/personal statement and take each point they ask for and show why you have it. So if they're asking for communication skills you need to show you have this. You just say that you have them because you worked in a GP surgery and pharmacy but can you say more about why you think that?

At the moment, your skills are very much buried in long paragraphs that don't really get to the point. Make it more obvious what you're trying to say. You need to immediately show them that you have the skills they're looking for.
Bexjw
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Whilst it’s very good, it reads more like a personal statement. You’re encouraged to not repeat information that you’ve provided earlier e.g. grades or employment that are already on your application form.

They want to see how you meet the requirements on the job description. Things such as teamwork, ambition/ Trust qualities. It’s best to refer to the job description/ people specification and give evidence of times you’ve worked to these requirements.

Try and keep as to the point as you can. Someone has to skim read through and shortlist, you want to show you have all the skills relevant in a concise way.

Best of luck!
Tracey_W
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
She wrote a thread identical in nursing & midwifery section as well and was told it was to personal and need changing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (22)
6.21%
Uncertainty around my education (38)
10.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (41)
11.58%
Lack of purpose or motivation (48)
13.56%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (18)
5.08%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (16)
4.52%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (37)
10.45%
Financial worries (25)
7.06%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.24%
Exposure to negative news/social media (22)
6.21%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.82%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (36)
10.17%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (26)
7.34%

Watched Threads