jessicaak30
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Non-participant observation qu
ITEM A: NON PARTICIPANT OBSERVATION AND EDUCATIONAL ACHIEVEMENT
There are clear differences in educational achievement based on social factors such as class, gender, and ethnicity which sociologists feel is particularly concerning. In order to overcome such issues, it is important to establish the causes of them and therefore sociologists would advocate using qualitative research methods such as non-participant observations to see the group behaving in an educational setting. The advantages of this method are that it is usually a valid method of research and if it is done overtly can avoid ethical issues relating to deception. However, the disadvantages of the method could include the difficulty of gaining access to a school in the first place and the practical issues of time and money. Teachers and students are also unlikely to behave naturally if they feel they are being watched.
Applying material from Item A and your knowledge of research methods, evaluate the strengths and limitations of non-participant observations for the study of the impact of setting on educational achievement. (20 marks)
englishhopeful98
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
hi
what have you got so far?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (88)
57.14%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (18)
11.69%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (20)
12.99%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (11)
7.14%
I haven't started researching yet (8)
5.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.84%

Watched Threads