The Student Room Group

uni - driving

would you recommend doing driving lessons before uni? I want to drive but don't think i can park my car anywhere at uni so am unsure if I should do lessons and buy a car
if you have time before going to uni learn to drive otherwise you probally will never get around to it as after uni you will be working and not have much time to learn
Reply 2
Original post by Elmo159
would you recommend doing driving lessons before uni? I want to drive but don't think i can park my car anywhere at uni so am unsure if I should do lessons and buy a car

"Should I learn to drive" and "should I buy a car" are two independent questions. You can learn to drive and then not buy a car.

Given the option, learn to drive as soon as you can. It tends to be easier to learn new skills when you're younger.

You don't have to buy a car once you've passed your test. And there's no rule that says that if you don't drive for X years you need to learn all over again, or pass another test.

As you note, parking a car at university can be difficult. (And depending on where you live, parking anywhere near where you live can be difficult.) Plus, if you own a car, you've got the ongoing expensive of paying VED, insurance, MOT, etc -- and those might be expenses you could do without.
Original post by Elmo159

Hello!

Sadly this is a very subjective topic of conversation! If you feel that you would like to drive, I would always recommend to start learning whenever! It can be very helpful having a car at uni depending on where it is. Some university's are very spread out across a city so cars can be recommended, whereas other university's (such as Portsmouth) don't require students to have a car as the city is so compact. I would recommend doing some research about your chosen university to see if you will need a car when you are there and whether learning to drive will be necessary before going to uni. If not, you could always start learning whilst you are at uni :smile:

Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by oliviapig
if you have time before going to uni learn to drive otherwise you probally will never get around to it as after uni you will be working and not have much time to learn

Okay, thank you! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hello!

Sadly this is a very subjective topic of conversation! If you feel that you would like to drive, I would always recommend to start learning whenever! It can be very helpful having a car at uni depending on where it is. Some university's are very spread out across a city so cars can be recommended, whereas other university's (such as Portsmouth) don't require students to have a car as the city is so compact. I would recommend doing some research about your chosen university to see if you will need a car when you are there and whether learning to drive will be necessary before going to uni. If not, you could always start learning whilst you are at uni :smile:

Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:

Thank you! My first choice uni is definitely Portsmouth at the moment so I will bear this in mind, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest