The Student Room Group

history gcse medicine

can somebody please give me a model answer to this question because i am having trouble understanding it...

question: explain one way in which the role of the physician in the medieval period was similar to the role of the doctor in he NHS in the modern period

i wrote this: one way the role of physician in the medieval period was similar to the role of the doctor in the modern period is that they both consider that diseases have a natural cause. This means that they were not completely powerless against disease - they could investigate and take action against it.
Original post by meli77
can somebody please give me a model answer to this question because i am having trouble understanding it...

question: explain one way in which the role of the physician in the medieval period was similar to the role of the doctor in he NHS in the modern period

i wrote this: one way the role of physician in the medieval period was similar to the role of the doctor in the modern period is that they both consider that diseases have a natural cause. This means that they were not completely powerless against disease - they could investigate and take action against it.

idk but i need help one this question too
How many marks is this? I do a medicine topic but our questions are not formatted like this.
You could talk about the Hippocratic oath perhaps? They both had a duty of care to everyone and everything as physicians.
Hey- I sat AQA GCSE History in 2019, I'm guessing this is an AQA topic right? Either way, we did history of medicine so I can try and give you some pointers :smile:

To start, you're probably best to sketch a quick list/ mind map of similarities between the two- if you can't think of any obvious ones, make a list of 'the role of the physician' for both time periods and then see if you've got any similarities. Here's some that I can think of:
-Both have a goal of giving good care to a patient. In the medieval period the focus was in care rather than cure, whereas the modern NHS doctor considers both. But the similarity here is good care.
-Both have a strong focus on hygiene. Monks and nuns ran hospitals in the medieval period, and they understood the importance of being clean for health- they just didn't know the science behind it. Doctors in the NHS obviously understand the science behind being clean, as much research has since been done to prove bacteria cause disease (think Pasteur's Germ theory, for example).

There's definitely more, but hopefully these might get your thoughts going a bit. I don't think we really covered that much on the modern doctor when I sat my exams, so it is a tough question. Plus similarity questions are always harder than differences questions in my opinion!

Next, pick your best point from the list and explain the similarity (and ONLY the similarity) using Point, evidence/context, explain paragraphs. I'm not sure how many marks this question is but as a general rule of thumb, 4 marks= 1 paragraph. I presume this would be a 4-marker since its only asking for one similarity.

This is how I'd do it:

Physicians and doctors in both time periods have a duty to maintain good hygiene. In the medieval period patients would be cared for in hospitals ran by monks and nuns who understood the importance of cleanliness to good health, even though they didn't understand the science behind it. For example, Hotel Dieu was set up by the Church in 651AD and was ran by nuns; it provided shelter and care for its patients. The good hygiene did not worsen the patients' health. Similarly, the modern doctor working in the NHS also has a duty to have good hygiene because they understand the cause of disease. Louis Pasteur published 'Germ Theory' in 1861 which proved that bacteria caused diseases. Modern doctors know that bacteria can be killed by being clean, so they maintain good hygiene to protect the health of their patients.

I hope this is some help! I'm not too familiar with how much context is on the specification now, but as long as you back up your points with valid facts I think it's fine :smile: Good luck!
Original post by Sam115511
How many marks is this? I do a medicine topic but our questions are not formatted like this.
You could talk about the Hippocratic oath perhaps? They both had a duty of care to everyone and everything as physicians.

Yes great point! I'm pretty sure NHS doctors take a more updated version of the Hippocratic oath now too. The original version mentions 'not giving a woman an abortive remedy' which obviously doesn't apply today- the modern update is a lot less religious too :P
Reply 5
do u think you would get 4/4 marks on that response tho?
Reply 6
Original post by meli77

do u think that would be a 4/4 response tho?
Original post by meli77

thank u so much am totally aced my test / home work
Reply 8
But here you aren't talking about the physicians, you're talking about the care in medieval hospitals which was run by monks and nurses whereas the focus of the question is on physicians so I doubt you'll get marks on it
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest