Clearing as a mature student?

Watch
John Bull
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm thinking of applying through clearing if something I am interested in comes up. I am not waiting on exam results, so apparently I can get ahead of the queue as I am not waiting for A-Level results.

Was wondering if any mature students had been through this before? What was the process like for you? I have a good idea of the courses and places I would like to apply, just not sure what will come up.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You’ll have more chances of an offer if you apply now as a late applicant (which also gives you the option to use clearing in July).
John Bull
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by PQ)
You’ll have more chances of an offer if you apply now as a late applicant (which also gives you the option to use clearing in July).
Interesting. Thanks. If a university is not allowing late applications for a given course, is that an indication that the same course will not be in clearing? I am somewhat confused by the system.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by John Bull)
Interesting. Thanks. If a university is not allowing late applications for a given course, is that an indication that the same course will not be in clearing? I am somewhat confused by the system.
There’s no indication either way. A university might not be accepting late applications now but will change that next week if they don’t have as many applicants pick them as firm. Or they might be open for late applicants but then on results day close the course to clearing applicants because more firm applicants do better than expected in their exams.

If you apply soon it gives you more shots. You can always just use 2/3/4 of your 5 choices now and keep an eye on the courses with vacancies and add in some more in June if courses open up.
Staffordshire University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm thinking of applying through clearing if something I am interested in comes up. I am not waiting on exam results, so apparently I can get ahead of the queue as I am not waiting for A-Level results.

Was wondering if any mature students had been through this before? What was the process like for you? I have a good idea of the courses and places I would like to apply, just not sure what will come up.
Hi John Bull,

My advice would be to get in touch with some of the universities that you're interested in, they'd be more than happy to talk to you about the process of clearing and I think that will make you feel much more comfortable with it

Personally, from what i've seen the staff work really hard to make the process as smooth as possible for applicants, and you can always ask to talk to someone about the course you're interested in and that might even help to make your decisions easier!

All the best!
^HB
LateKay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am a very mature student (just graduating at 59) and I rang the university department for the course I was interested in the day before clearing opened, on the spur of the moment, just to ask how you used clearing if you didn't have a current UCAS application. Had a chat with the admissions tutor and she offered me a place on the spot. So I would suggest that if you know what courses you are interested in give the universities a call now and see what they say.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LateKay)
I am a very mature student (just graduating at 59) and I rang the university department for the course I was interested in the day before clearing opened, on the spur of the moment, just to ask how you used clearing if you didn't have a current UCAS application. Had a chat with the admissions tutor and she offered me a place on the spot. So I would suggest that if you know what courses you are interested in give the universities a call now and see what they say.
That’s fine if you are only interested in a single university (and even then many universities will insist on an application through ucas to formalise the application).
John Bull
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks for the helpful advice PQ

I am going to contact the university and see how things go. I am looking mainly at management courses.

If I submit an application now for one course and later a course that becomes available is a bit different than management, am I kind of stuck due to the personal statement? I wouldn't be able to update it I guess?

One further question - If I agree with one university now that I do not need to submit a reference to apply for their course and submit a UCAS application to them, would I be able to submit a reference in the future for other choices if necessary?
John Bull
Rep:
?
So, I applied to one university and unfortunately the places on the course became full after I had submitted my UCAS application but before the application had been considered. I applied for a second course through Track but I will probably reject it if I am made an offer.

I have a couple of questions.

Can I go through clearing given these circumstances?

Would I be able to apply for the same course again if it becomes available? I was not rejected from the course as such, it was because the places became full.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you aren’t holding any offers/awaiting a decision then when clearing opens you can apply to places in clearing with vacancies
John Bull
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
If you aren’t holding any offers/awaiting a decision then when clearing opens you can apply to places in clearing with vacancies
Thanks PQ. One final, final question. I have used 2/5 choices at this point. Can I use the 3 remaining choices, reject any offers I receive and still go into clearing? Using all 5 choices on UCAS Track has no effect on whether you can use Clearing or not?

As I have these 3 remaining choices, I want to use them to see what the response/feedback would be, so I could refine my application further for the following year if I was getting rejected.
Last edited by John Bull; 1 month ago
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks PQ. One final, final question. I have used 2/5 choices at this point. Can I use the 3 remaining choices, reject any offers I receive and still go into clearing? Using all 5 choices on UCAS Track has no effect on whether you can use Clearing or not?

As I have these 3 remaining choices, I want to use them to see what the response/feedback would be, so I could refine my application further for the following year if I was getting rejected.
Yes fill in your remaining choices asap.

You can always withdraw from a choice on track and decline any offers at any point to enter clearing but you only have a few days until ucas will remove the option to add your remaining 3 choices.
AlgebraKing3
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is there any chance I could call up a uni which doesn't have my particular course in clearing but I could explain how it was accepting late entries and that I'm a mature student and ask for an offer?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AlgebraKing3)
Is there any chance I could call up a uni which doesn't have my particular course in clearing but I could explain how it was accepting late entries and that I'm a mature student and ask for an offer?
You can ring up any university at any time - but if they aren't advertising a particular course in clearing on the UCAS website or their own website then they aren't likely to make an exception for you.
John Bull
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I have found that the info on the UCAS search page can be wrong. Listing places as accepting applications when in reality they are not. Contact university directly.

Exeter, for example, couldn't be bothered to update the information.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.32%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.96%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.64%
Financial worries (35)
6.21%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.16%

Watched Threads