sparkeldancer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am unsure as to what A-levels to pick; I have some ideas, but am not entirely certain what to select:
-Note that due to circumstances, these grades probably are inflated slightly in my case:
-Maths: predicted 9b. I generally wasn't that interested in maths due to how easy I have found it, since we are only doing relatively easy topics in class we have done in years 9 & 10. But I believe I will enjoy it a lot more in sixth form and am intending to study further maths as well, possibly to go into computing or maths.

However, I have chosen computer science as well (and predicted a 9b), but I don't really like the theory, but how much of a problem will this be? I really do like the idea of being creative with coding however, and am quite good at it.

But what I don't know is whether I'd want to select biology, chemistry or physics (or which two if I don't select computing), as I am predicted 9s in all of them. I find the idea of learning how the body works quite interesting, and chemistry as well with reactions, but I'm not sure how much I am a fan of practicals. I am personally better with calculations, so might do better in physics, but I don't know if I like it (as much), but I think I'd still do well in it and enjoy it.

I'm not entirely sure what engineers do other than find 'practical problems to real life solutions', or if I want to enter medical sciences; personally I don't see myself literally working on the frontline, but I suspect at university I might prefer physics over something like biology and chemistry, but then again I don't really know.

Will really appreciate any advice you share below.
em0392
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As someone that is taking chemistry alevels i wouldn’t honestly recommend it from my experience. i found chemistry so easy at school and got really good grades but alevel chemistry is just soo much harder and makes a lot less sense, there’s also an unrealistic amount of information to remember and so many topics that overlap and get confused so easily.
i also take biology and would recommend it, it’s a lot easier than chemistry and makes much more sense in linking to real life but also the topics can link in together really well without confusion.
not sure if you have any intrest in psychology but that’s the third alevel i take and it is very interesting and quite fun to learn. it’s a lot more light hearted than the sciences so it’s nice to have a balance between my courses. so i would recommend taking something you will really enjoy rather than just the things you are good at as the courses can be so much different to what you have previously done and may not be as fun or interesting to learn.
hope this helps in some way if you need anything else just let me know
malanaphii
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i did a-level computing and i loved it, though i'm the same with not liking theory much and just wanting to code! most of the theory wasn't too bad to be honest, at least for my course (i believe i did aqa?).

science wise, i'm not sure what i'd suggest you pick. you mentioned further maths - is that available as its own subject? if so, could you not pick maths, further maths and computing? i didn't take any sciences so i can't be particularly helpful there, though i will say it doesn't matter if you don't want to go into it further than a-levels! if maths/computing is what you want to go into, i'd just pick whichever science you find the most fun to go with them
sparkeldancer
Rep:
?
(Original post by malanaphii)
i did a-level computing and i loved it, though i'm the same with not liking theory much and just wanting to code! most of the theory wasn't too bad to be honest, at least for my course (i believe i did aqa?).

science wise, i'm not sure what i'd suggest you pick. you mentioned further maths - is that available as its own subject? if so, could you not pick maths, further maths and computing? i didn't take any sciences so i can't be particularly helpful there, though i will say it doesn't matter if you don't want to go into it further than a-levels! if maths/computing is what you want to go into, i'd just pick whichever science you find the most fun to go with them
Thank you for this advice a lot. Yes further maths is a separate subject in our sixth form, so technically I could pick the above, but I don't want to restrict myself too much as I really enjoy the sciences as well. I have put down maths, further maths, computing and physics atm but I probably would prefer studying biology/ chemistry instead. The problem is since computing isn't really required from universities, combined with not really wanting to learn theory, I'm not sure if I really want to select computing (and instead chemistry & biology). I think the trouble is there are too many a levels I want to do and it's hard to select only 3/4.
sparkeldancer
Rep:
?
(Original post by em0392)
As someone that is taking chemistry alevels i wouldn’t honestly recommend it from my experience. i found chemistry so easy at school and got really good grades but alevel chemistry is just soo much harder and makes a lot less sense, there’s also an unrealistic amount of information to remember and so many topics that overlap and get confused so easily.
i also take biology and would recommend it, it’s a lot easier than chemistry and makes much more sense in linking to real life but also the topics can link in together really well without confusion.
not sure if you have any intrest in psychology but that’s the third alevel i take and it is very interesting and quite fun to learn. it’s a lot more light hearted than the sciences so it’s nice to have a balance between my courses. so i would recommend taking something you will really enjoy rather than just the things you are good at as the courses can be so much different to what you have previously done and may not be as fun or interesting to learn.
hope this helps in some way if you need anything else just let me know
Thank you for the reply I really find biology interesting after looking at the textbook on kerboodle, especially stuff relating to the body and how it functions, and I enjoy chemistry too hence I want to pick it as it is really facilitating for universities, but I don't think I'd like physics as much, but still want to do it. Personally since I have too many a levels to choose from I am not really considering psychology, though it does seem interesting. I think most realistically I'd pick biology, chemistry, maths and FM but then again I'm not 100% certain.
malanaphii
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sparkeldancer)
Thank you for this advice a lot. Yes further maths is a separate subject in our sixth form, so technically I could pick the above, but I don't want to restrict myself too much as I really enjoy the sciences as well. I have put down maths, further maths, computing and physics atm but I probably would prefer studying biology/ chemistry instead. The problem is since computing isn't really required from universities, combined with not really wanting to learn theory, I'm not sure if I really want to select computing (and instead chemistry & biology). I think the trouble is there are too many a levels I want to do and it's hard to select only 3/4.
yes that is true actually - my friend took physics, maths, further maths and computing but ended up dropping computing to give herself more time to study the rest, despite wanting to go to uni for computing because for some reason maths is more important to a computing degree than computing! i reaaaally loved the programming project in computing but i understand your point there. i was the opposite to be honest, i knew i wanted to do computing and psychology and just had to chuck in a random subject i didn't hate as my third (religious studies) because there was nothing else i wanted to do!
sparkeldancer
Rep:
?
(Original post by malanaphii)
yes that is true actually - my friend took physics, maths, further maths and computing but ended up dropping computing to give herself more time to study the rest, despite wanting to go to uni for computing because for some reason maths is more important to a computing degree than computing! i reaaaally loved the programming project in computing but i understand your point there. i was the opposite to be honest, i knew i wanted to do computing and psychology and just had to chuck in a random subject i didn't hate as my third (religious studies) because there was nothing else i wanted to do!
I understand what you were saying though about how if I really want to do computing/maths I should just select maths, further maths and computing to prepare me for this. I can imagine myself coding the problem was I stopped coding around the end of year 9 in my free time as I needed to start working towards my GCSEs. I only around a week ago made a program in python which created two simultaenous equations and correctly determined whether you were correct or not (just linear ones not algebraic), and I used classes and objects with it (even though this is A-level content I believe). I guess I just fell into thinking programming was pointless; which is in my opinion for GCSE computing, but I really like the idea of finally being able to 'flourish' and do for the most part exactly what I want to do. After thinking about your suggestion I began to realise that selecting some sciences alongside computing will just make my life really busy, and harder to achieve good grades. As much as I want to do science (and might, actually almost definitely will change my mind), I think I should probably just go with what you suggested because that way I will have enough time to actually have a life beyond studying, rather than at GCSE which has just been horrendous and endlessly uncertain at times over years 10 and 11 disrupted by lockdowns. Also I will actually be committed to doing maths and computing if I just select them, but if I do other ones I might just feel conflicted and might find sciences pointless when I am doing computing. Then again I'll think about it, but thank you
em0392
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sparkeldancer)
Thank you for the reply I really find biology interesting after looking at the textbook on kerboodle, especially stuff relating to the body and how it functions, and I enjoy chemistry too hence I want to pick it as it is really facilitating for universities, but I don't think I'd like physics as much, but still want to do it. Personally since I have too many a levels to choose from I am not really considering psychology, though it does seem interesting. I think most realistically I'd pick biology, chemistry, maths and FM but then again I'm not 100% certain.
definitely chose the ones you enjoy most, it will work out better for you in the long run and a lot of people who pick 4 options end up dropping one anyone so you can always drop one if you find it hard or don’t enjoy it
nehir305
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I know this isn't about your question but since you guys know about A levels can someone tell me the difference between them and the AP's. I'm an international student applying for the UK so they told me to take AP's but I just saw A levels in entry requirements in almost every uni.
em0392
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nehir305)
Hi, I know this isn't about your question but since you guys know about A levels can someone tell me the difference between them and the AP's. I'm an international student applying for the UK so they told me to take AP's but I just saw A levels in entry requirements in almost every uni.
Were AP’s exams or classes? i normally hear the term AP’s in relation to classes?
sparkeldancer
Rep:
?
(Original post by em0392)
definitely chose the ones you enjoy most, it will work out better for you in the long run and a lot of people who pick 4 options end up dropping one anyone so you can always drop one if you find it hard or don’t enjoy it
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (224)
43.5%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.57%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (108)
20.97%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (58)
11.26%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.44%

Watched Threads