Church for my illness?

Watch
jaffacakehero
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm ill and the nurse in hospital said that maybe I should go to church because they saw a girl with the same condition as me go to church and she was cured.

What is it like going to church ? I'm a Quaker so have never been to church. Also, how can God make me better? and why does it have to be in a church ? Also, am I welcome because I wasn't raised Christian ? Is there someone who I need to speak to or do I just show up?
Last edited by jaffacakehero; 2 months ago
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I think it is inappropriate for the nurse to mention that, as it’s imposing her religious views on you. You could probably make a complaint if you wanted.There is no proof that prayer cures disease, or religious conversion.

If you want to pray as a Quaker by all means do so or if you want to explore another branch of Christianity I’d imagine you could start by checking out the websites of local churches and emailing or attending a service. The hospital chaplain may also be able to help.
Last edited by becausethenight; 2 months ago
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by jaffacakehero)
I'm ill and the nurse in hospital said that maybe I should go to church because they saw a girl with the same condition as me go to church and she was cured.
I highly doubt any medical professional that didn't get their degree off the Internet said that to you.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
This is a complete and utter disgrace and you should complain.
jaffacakehero
Rep:
?
I think her intentions were good. They explained how they had a girl similar to me who tried everything from essential oils to acupuncture and none of it worked. She went to church and finally was cured. This is helpful information because it helped her. I just don't really understand how this would work exactly. I'm assuming it's psychological or something. I believe in medicine NOT homeopathy.

I know this nurse well and she has always been really good to me. She believed me when nobody else did and taught me to advocate for myself. I don't believe that she is religious.

I'm also a Non-theist Quaker so... yeah.
Could try believing in a god and see what happens. It can't hurt I'm sure

If it works it works and at this point I'll try anything
Last edited by jaffacakehero; 2 months ago
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
I think her intentions were good. They explained how they had a girl similar to me who tried everything from essential oils to acupuncture and none of it worked. She went to church and finally was cured. This is helpful information because it helped her. I just don't really understand how this would work exactly. I'm assuming it's psychological or something. I believe in medicine NOT homeopathy.

I know this nurse well and she has always been really good to me. She believed me when nobody else did and taught me to advocate for myself. I don't believe that she is religious.

I'm also a Non-theist Quaker so... yeah.
Could try believing in a god and see what happens. It can't hurt I'm sure

If it works it works and at this point I'll try anything
firstly :hugs:

to answer the questions in your op, you just show up; there's no one you need to speak to. you don't have to go to church to interact with God, but people often do find comfort in it, which can be good for healing, asking people to pray for you etc. yes, it's psychological (altho i do believe God can literally heal as well).
heldbygrace
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I agree that the nurse maybe should not have said that, but it is a helpful suggestion.

Going to church is a different experience for every church you will go to. You don't necessarily have to stick with the first one you find, try multiple and see what you like. Generally, it should be a welcoming and positive atmosphere where you feel valued and loved. If it's anything less than this maybe try somewhere else, unfortunately not all churches are as Christian as they should be You should be welcomed regardless of your faith, I would keep away from anywhere who slights you or doesn't want you just because you weren't born a Christian. Christians believe God is omnipotent (all-powerful) so if he wants to heal you he will heal you. We don't need to wonder how or where or when, we believe that if it's the right thing for him to do, he will do it. It isn't difficult for him. Unfortunately, and this is the truth, God doesn't heal everyone. And it is made clear multiple times through examples in the Bible that God only heals people physically to heal their hearts. By that, I'm saying that physical healings are used to prove to someone that God is true or to show someone God's power. The thing is some people get healed, some don't, but that's all in God's hand and for a reason. So if you do decide to go to church, go with the mind to find new life in God, not to be healed, because spiritual healing is way better than any physical healing.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any questions or ask for Bible references etc.
Last edited by heldbygrace; 2 months ago
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

What is it like going to church ? I'm a Quaker so have never been to church. Also, how can God make me better? and why does it have to be in a church ? Also, am I welcome because I wasn't raised Christian ? Is there someone who I need to speak to or do I just show up?
Plenty of healings in the church I belong to!
Live and zoom meetings too, just use the contact numbers to get nearest meeting details.
jaffacakehero
Rep:
?
Thank you !
This is all really helpful. I decided it would probably be best to go to a local meeting house because of my faith, maybe I can change to a churchif I don't like it . I really appreciate the help you have given me!
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
That’s terrible medical advice to be giving out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.05%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.14%
No I am happy with my choice (118)
56.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.62%

Watched Threads