Anyone else not bothered with university?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm not and I feel left out a bit. I was a bit upset because a lot of people who went to my school are there. It seems like everyone is going. I was thinking that all of them are going to be more successful than me in the future because why would they be going if they weren't going to be. I'm still in college and don't want to go university. Just been worried about everyone doing better than me.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Bump
SlaveofAll
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Treat going to a university as at least as rite of passage, and if you worry about other people doing better than you, use it to drive you to do better. By the way, are you male, given the rarity of men going to college out of various reasons?
Cryoraptor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Me and one of my mates aren't going to uni. It's not something that's really for us.

Most of your friends will probably end up doing the same class of jobs as you will considering academic credentials are inversely proportional to demand, and with basically everyone going to uni and getting a degree these days competition is incredibly intense and only a few will ever truly get the very high-paying jobs. Most will not secure these jobs and end up in the same position as or lower positions than people who saw through the system and didn't go to uni. My mate's mum has 2 degrees and works in a charity shop for minimum wage, and she's from the generation before so many kids went to uni. So imagine how worthless degrees are now.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Honestly don't overthink it, you're out there learning and bettering yourself doing something you're interested in if not outright like. Unis aren't going anywhere if you change your mind down the line. (I did, being a mature uni student is a doddle, no teen angst!)
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
At £9,000 per annum and rising, university as mere 'rite of passage' is now fiscally-improvident to all bar a select few.

Unless the experience and qualifications thus obtained confer a net financial advantage (which is increasingly unlikely), permit entry to an academically gated profession, or provide access to facilities and equipment which lie otherwise out of reach, those three years could, I daresay, be more profitably spent either plying a trade, starting a business, or else pursuing independent study by means of the myriad educational resources (including, but not limited to, university reading-lists) which are now free and publicly-available at the click of a mouse.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Profesh)
At £9,000 per annum and rising, university as mere 'rite of passage' is now fiscally-improvident to all bar a select few.

Unless the experience and qualifications thus obtained confer a net financial advantage (which is increasingly unlikely), permit entry to an academically gated profession, or provide access to facilities and equipment which lie otherwise out of reach, those three years could, I daresay, be more profitably spent either plying a trade, starting a business, or else pursuing independent study by means of the myriad educational resources (including, but not limited to, university reading-lists) which are now free and publicly-available at the click of a mouse.
Scottish = Select Few.

It's like being Gods chosen people, but no one tries chasing you out because it's a bog and they don't want it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (90)
28.57%
No (225)
71.43%

Watched Threads