Socrates
What you applying for?

Russian and Eastern European Studies MSc :smile:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
i applied to russian and east european studies too
Reply 102
Hi everyone. Thought I'd join this thread, so there we go: I applied in november for a MSc in Education
I got the rejection letter today :frown:
Reply 104
I'm sorry to hear that. Did they email you as well or just send a letter?
They emailed me today and said the letter is on the way.
when did u submit your application??
hobnob
Don't be. You probably won't be hearing anything until January anyway, and you don't want to spend two whole months being anxious, do you? Just try to put the application out of your mind for the time being.

TheInvincible
They emailed me today and said the letter is on the way.

What I've been wondering though is the different deadlines for students of different nationalities and with regard to the fact which type of funding you'd like.
But there are quotas for the courses? Aren't there? So I just don't get how they give out offers. If the application deadline was this autumn (speaking in general, but referring to Oxford (Nov) and Cambridge (Oct) really as these are the early birds) but that is mainly for us, non-UK students, how come they would give you a conditional offer now/ reject you now when they do not know who is going to apply by a later deadline?

Say there is a British student who chooese to pay for their own course, so they have plenty of time, can apply until March or something, they would then run the risk of having other people taking their place as it were, as I can't imagine unis having a policy of 'I shall take on 4 students from the EU, 10 from the wider world.. oh and a couple of home students from our own island!'

If it is rolling admissions that sort of risk is there, but I just don't get it how it works with Oxford or Cambridge if they do give you a conditional offer/ reject you now before all the applications are in.

(Btw the funding takes ages to be decided, isn't it? Probably next spring?)
Reply 108
wholenewworld
What I've been wondering though is the different deadlines for students of different nationalities and with regard to the fact which type of funding you'd like.
What do you mean by that?:confused: As far as I know the deadlines are exactly the same for internationals.
But there are quotas for the courses? Aren't there?

Erm, no. Unless by "quotas" you mean "limited number of places", in which case, yes, obviously.:s-smilie:
So I just don't get how they give out offers. If the application deadline was this autumn (speaking in general, but referring to Oxford (Nov) and Cambridge (Oct) really as these are the early birds) but that is mainly for us, non-UK students, how come they would give you a conditional offer now/ reject you now when they do not know who is going to apply by a later deadline?

They give offers to the ones they definitely want, reject the ones they definitely don't want and move borderline applications (i.e. the ones they're not completely sure about) over to the next gathered field so they can compare them to the next batch of applicants. If there are lots of stronger applicants in the next gathered field, the borderline ones from the previous field won't get offers, but if there aren't, some of them will.
Say there is a British student who chooese to pay for their own course, so they have plenty of time, can apply until March or something, they would then run the risk of having other people taking their place as it were, as I can't imagine unis having a policy of 'I shall take on 4 students from the EU, 10 from the wider world.. oh and a couple of home students from our own island!'

Again, I don't really see how nationality comes into this.:confused: To my knowledge there are no quotas. But obviously it would still be in Mr Self-Funding British Student's interest to apply as early as he can.
hobnob
What do you mean by that?:confused: As far as I know the deadlines are exactly the same for internationals.

Erm, no. Unless by "quotas" you mean "limited number of places", in which case, yes, obviously.:s-smilie:

They give offers to the ones they definitely want, reject the ones they definitely don't want and move borderline applications (i.e. the ones they're not completely sure about) over to the next gathered field so they can compare them to the next batch of applicants. If there are lots of stronger applicants in the next gathered field, the borderline ones from the previous field won't get offers, but if there aren't, some of them will.

Again, I don't really see how nationality comes into this.:confused: To my knowledge there are no quotas. But obviously it would still be in Mr Self-Funding British Student's interest to apply as early as he can.

Thanks. I did mean limited places. As to nationality, while for non-UK students the application deadline was Oct, UK students could do it until Nov (exactly a month more time they had. That was definitely the case for Cambridge last year, not sure about this year though.)
Reply 110
wholenewworld
Thanks. I did mean limited places. As to nationality, while for non-UK students the application deadline was Oct, UK students could do it until Nov (exactly a month more time they had. That was definitely the case for Cambridge last year, not sure about this year though.)

Sorry, where did you get that information from? I'm fairly sure Oxford didn't have separate deadlines for graduates last year, and unless I'm missing something they don't have them now.
Reply 111
hobnob, you're not missing anything. i'm non-uk and i applied to oxford in november, so there's definitely NOT a deadline for uk and another one for non-uk postgrad applications.
hobnob
Sorry, where did you get that information from? I'm fairly sure Oxford didn't have separate deadlines for graduates last year, and unless I'm missing something they don't have them now.

I was talking about Cambridge:
'... your admission application MUST be received, by the Faculty, by: 15 October 2008 (all non-UK nationality applicants) OR 15 December 2008 (all UK nationality applicants). Applications sent in after these dates, may not be considered for funding but will be processed for admission'

from here:
http://www.hist.cam.ac.uk/pgadmissions/mphil/mphil-hist-studies-prospectus.pdf

But for instance for Mod European History, they first said the same and then changed the deadline for UK students to Oct too.

Oxford, it's the same. Sorry I didn't specify and also sorry that I brought it up as this is the Oxford thread after all. Didn't want to mislead anyone.
Reply 113
wholenewworld
I was talking about Cambridge:
'... your admission application MUST be received, by the Faculty, by: 15 October 2008 (all non-UK nationality applicants) OR 15 December 2008 (all UK nationality applicants). Applications sent in after these dates, may not be considered for funding but will be processed for admission'

from here:
http://www.hist.cam.ac.uk/pgadmissions/mphil/mphil-hist-studies-prospectus.pdf

But for instance for Mod European History, they first said the same and then changed the deadline for UK students to Oct too.

Oxford, it's the same. Sorry I didn't specify and also sorry that I brought it up as this is the Oxford thread after all. Didn't want to mislead anyone.

"If you want to be considered for funding..." - doesn't that just mean it has something to do with application deadlines for scholarships available to non-UK students?
hobnob
"If you want to be considered for funding..." - doesn't that just mean it has something to do with application deadlines for scholarships available to non-UK students?

Indeed, you might be right. You are encouraged to apply for funding to the Cambridge Trust, which is for non-UK students only if I'm right. But if you only want to apply to the AHRC it's still the Oct deadline. And the AHRC does apply to British people too.

But as I said, they changed it to October for everyone irrespective of nationality for the course I applied for.

Oxford is infinitely better when it comes to applications systems. They leave you more time (a month more!) for non-UK too and their online application is exactly what it says on the tin. Whereas with Cambridge.. best not go there.
wholenewworld
But if you only want to apply to the AHRC it's still the Oct deadline

It's only for EU students though and even then it's for a maitenance only grant if you meet all the requirements.
apotoftea
It's only for EU students though and even then it's for a maitenance only grant if you meet all the requirements.

The AHRC is not only for EU students. And for non-UK it's your expenses minus maintenance, ie just the fees. For UK students it covers maintenance too.
wholenewworld
The AHRC is not only for EU students. And for non-UK it's your expenses minus maintenance, ie just the fees. For UK students it covers maintenance too.

I meant European students :o:
Reply 118
:smile: me thinks Oxford will hold out on those acceptance/rejection letters until after Christmas - that's nice of them. They couldn't possibly ruin Christmas '08, could they?
Andante
:smile: me thinks Oxford will hold out on those acceptance/rejection letters until after Christmas - that's nice of them. They couldn't possibly ruin Christmas '08, could they?

I was thinking the same. That said, I also think it possible that they send you their decision on 23 Dec! :erm:

Seriously though, I have known undergrad applicants who got their results that close to Christmas. One was rejected and her Christmas ruined :frown: , the other was accepted, best Christmas he ever had. :o:

But maybe exactly because of this, they are busy with undergrad applications now and they will only let the postgrad applicants know in January. Well, can't really do anything about it though, can we? Just wait patiently :yep: