please help me choose the right A-levels!

Watch
vanessa.james
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Heyy, I want to study criminology at uni and get a job as a criminologist or a forensic psychologist, but im not very sure on the A-levels i should choose.
I've been thinking of some beneficial subjects:

Option 1:
Psychology
Sociology
Biology or Chemistry (not very sure which would be better or if i should take both?)

Option 2:
Psychology
Sociology
Law
History (not very sure if i even need to take history?)

Also after A-levels I plan on applying to uni in the United States, preferably ivy league ones like Harvard, Stanford etc.

-Which option do you think is better?
-Or if both options are lacking or not suitable which subjects should i take?
Reanna.xxx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Criminology typically doesn’t require any specific A level options for *most* universities and so, I’d suggest choosing subjects that you think you will enjoy the most. History and sciences are both very different A levels and so you’d need to decide whether you’re more happy with an essay-based subject or an application type of subject. I don’t think taking both chemistry and biology as a 3rd and 4th option would be the best idea as I do both of them now and they are very demanding. Infact, I don’t think it’s worth taking 4 A levels because at the end of the day, universities will only look at the 3 highest A levels. I’m happy to answer any questions about chem and bio though if it will help you to decide which to take!
Last edited by Reanna.xxx; 1 month ago
snowball_cat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Criminology doesn’t require you to take specific A-levels and there are many subjects that involve law and criminology at some point in the course. It’s best to do what you will enjoy but also consider the work load as you don’t want to be overwhelmed.

It’s also good to consider what kind of work they will give you. Some contain a lot of essay writing (law and criminology does as well) whereas others are more maths and statistics. Maybe think about what skills you have at the moment and will be useful in university? Whatever you choose make sure they’re subjects you enjoy!

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.56%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.15%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.6%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (49)
24.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.69%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed