Clubs/organisations/societies at university

Watch this thread
jaxp
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What type of clubs/organisations/societies are there at university? I know it's going to be different depending on the uni, but what are some examples?
Edit: Also, do you need to pay to join these?
Thanks
Last edited by jaxp; 1 year ago
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Loads,
You’ll find they might be categorised by:
Academic, social, cultural, hobby, sports, religious, political, volunteering, random...

Most large unis have a couple hundred student groups

Costs vary, normally they’ll be subsidised so cheap relative to the cost of doing it elsewhere
Last edited by mnot; 1 year ago
The yung bean
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Basically any sport that you have heard of and a few more. There are also careers ones (e.g. law society, finance society etc). There are cultural ones (like Malaysian society or African and Caribbean society). And there are more hobby based ones. These will vary from uni to uni but its usualy board games, tea appreciation etc.
Just about every uni website has a list of them so check out the websites of the ones you're interested in
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jaxp)
What type of clubs/organisations/societies are there at university? I know it's going to be different depending on the uni, but what are some examples?
Thanks
Hello!

There will be a society to whatever you fancy at university! There are so many to chose from that cover sport, culture, politics, gaming, faith and much more! I would recommend in your first few weeks of uni to join as many of the free taster trials that will be available to you so you can meet other like-minded students and see if any society stands out that you love!

The cost depends on the society you join, such as fees for insurance or uniform, but this will all be covered in the induction/ trials for each society you are interested in Have a browse and see if you like the look of any.

Sam- Official Student Rep
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jaxp)
Thanks
I 'll answer the easy part first there can be a charge for some clubs as for what there is what do you like or wan to try there is to name a few:
Climbing
Ski snowboard
Octopush
American Football
Football
Sports art your thing that's fine there:
Film
Journalism
Radio
Zombie
Beer appreition

But of course thats just a few I'll link Solent's current list of course societies open all the time an it's super easy to start your own. any way here's the link
https://www.solentsu.co.uk/get-involved/societies/

Your best bet is to got to The Sport and Rec fair (freshers fair) and just see what takes your fancy.
Solent University, Southampton
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by jaxp)
Thanks
At Solent University our societies cover a range of themes such as, Media, Religion, Social, Musical, Academic and More. You can meet groups of like-minded people, share your interests, develop professional experience and most of all, have fun! Here’s a link to all our societies and clubs: https://www.solentsu.co.uk/get-involved/societies/

We also allow the opportunity for students to start there own society. All you need to do is fill out our “New Society Application Form” which will be submitted to our Student Union team.

- Chloe
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Solent University, Southampton)
At Solent University our societies cover a range of themes such as, Media, Religion, Social, Musical, Academic and More. You can meet groups of like-minded people, share your interests, develop professional experience and most of all, have fun! Here’s a link to all our societies and clubs: https://www.solentsu.co.uk/get-involved/societies/

We also allow the opportunity for students to start there own society. All you need to do is fill out our “New Society Application Form” which will be submitted to our Student Union team.

- Chloe
Being a Solent graduate I can second this there were loads climbing was always fun and I also loved the skiing but yeah they basically filled the Guildhall twice over two days with how many there were and then I’d see posters for new ones starting every couple of weeks.
Solent University, Southampton
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by jaxp)
Thanks
Another point I wanted to add, I predominantly only looked at the sports, Football being the main one but at the freshers events you can sign up for as many as you like. Many people on my course in my foundation year tried their hand at things they had no idea about, this often gave them a new skill or hobby and also a new social group to hang out with.

Sorry for this being a late reply I hope this helps!

Isaac😀
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.38%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.03%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.35%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (24)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (35)
25.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
19.85%

Watched Threads