Snownity
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm a 17 year old (18 next month) college student and I've just gone on study leave this Friday, and will only return to college for my exam on the 24th May. I'm really struggling to find a "decent" job. I'm not planning to go to university and I don't know what I want to do because I haven't found anything that interests me despite looking. I take Criminology and Health, and I did look at apprenticeships but as I'm from a village, it is extremely hard to get to the good ones because they are in cities and it would cost a fortune to travel there everyday.

Some local jobs that are in a nearby town looked good, even some part time ones, but my grandad is being very negative and telling me that there's no point in doing them even if it's just temporary. I currently do have a job, but I consider it to be a side-job. It's cleaning for a school and I earn £9 an hour but only work 2 hours. I'm lucky to have this at the moment, but I definitely wouldn't want to do that for the rest of my life nor would you be able to make any sort of living on it. It starts in the middle of the day too, so the timing is really inconvenient if I want to do something with my day. I've tried just about everything to figure out what I should do next,but I don't think I'm getting anywhere, any tips?
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Screw grandpa, if you want to apply then apply
Snownity
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by WantBeAnonymous)
Screw grandpa, if you want to apply then apply
He does have a good point though, all of the jobs that I've found from the nearby town are not helpful or good for continuing on to a better job. For example, there's a waitress job but it wouldn't lead on to something better in the future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.95%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.15%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.62%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.82%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.21%

Watched Threads