Yaz013
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi ,
I'm in lower sixth - form and currently predicted a C.
I really need an A to get into my preferred Uni.

Are there tips to getting an A in French?
barnet1471
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does it help listening to and/or watching more French films, podcasts and other things? Are the resources of the Institut Francais of any help? If you are able to visit France or a French speaking place before your exam (may not be possible), perhaps pick somewhere not a traditional tourist place for English speakers.

Good luck, or should I say bonne chance.
Charlieelliott
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Yaz013)
Hi ,

Watch French films, TV series, News articles & read books in French I found reading in English then the same book in French helped! Load your playlist with French music & listen 24/7 😂 just surround yourself with as much of the language as possible, I’m predicted A* 🤞🏻🤞🏻
SunisOut
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi ,

Hi Yaz013

I think the best is to speak to your teachers to ask which areas you need improvement on. Is it your writing, listening or oral side. You also need to check out your exam board and mark schemes to see where you can gain the extra marks in! Good luck!

The best advice (due to Covid travelling to France would be the best!) is to listen to the French radio stations more. There’s also Podcasts in French too if you have Spotify. Watch French Netflix series. Over and over! There are also lots of Youtube videos to watch if you search A level French.

Do you really enjoy French? The standards at Uni are completely different and everything will be taught in French, so if you need to, brushing up your listening skills is vital.
Yaz013
Rep:
?
(Original post by barnet1471)
Does it help listening to and/or watching more French films, podcasts and other things? Are the resources of the Institut Francais of any help? If you are able to visit France or a French speaking place before your exam (may not be possible), perhaps pick somewhere not a traditional tourist place for English speakers.

Good luck, or should I say bonne chance.
Merci, will probably utilise more resources online
Yaz013
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charlieelliott)
Watch French films, TV series, News articles & read books in French I found reading in English then the same book in French helped! Load your playlist with French music & listen 24/7 😂 just surround yourself with as much of the language as possible, I’m predicted A* 🤞🏻🤞🏻
Thanks! Do you recommend any french podcasts and shows ?
Also, how much time do you spend on french especially with speaking
username5458796
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What grade did you get at GCSE
Yaz013
Rep:
?
(Original post by SunisOut)
Hi Yaz013

I think the best is to speak to your teachers to ask which areas you need improvement on. Is it your writing, listening or oral side. You also need to check out your exam board and mark schemes to see where you can gain the extra marks in! Good luck!

The best advice (due to Covid travelling to France would be the best!) is to listen to the French radio stations more. There’s also Podcasts in French too if you have Spotify. Watch French Netflix series. Over and over! There are also lots of Youtube videos to watch if you search A level French.

Do you really enjoy French? The standards at Uni are completely different and everything will be taught in French, so if you need to, brushing up your listening skills is vital.
hi, thanks, i will do
do you recommend any specific podcasts?
Yaz013
Rep:
?
(Original post by umchileanyways)
What grade did you get at GCSE
I got a 6 but was only a couple of marks away from 7
I do have a passion for french but due to the online learning and less lessons, it has been a bit more difficult to learn
username5458796
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got a 6 but was only a couple of marks away from 7
I do have a passion for french but due to the online learning and less lessons, it has been a bit more difficult to learn
I'm doing gcse french
any tips
SunisOut
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi, thanks, i will do
do you recommend any specific podcasts?
I am not sure, you can try looking at this website for ideas...
https://frenchtogether.com/french-podcast/
Yaz013
Rep:
?
(Original post by umchileanyways)
I'm doing gcse french
any tips
Quizlet/ memrise is good for learning vocab
Giving teachers written pieces ( 90/ 150 word ) to find out the weaker points and to improve and showcase to them that you are going above and beyond
Learning basic sentences for each topic which can where you can expand more during the speaking and writing and also use your own examples of holiday trips or school to help you remember easier
i did AQA and they had a vocab list which was useful
Last edited by Yaz013; 1 month ago
username5458796
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Quizlet/ memrise is good for learning vocab
Giving teachers written pieces ( 90/ 150 word ) to find out the weaker points and to improve and showcase to them that you are going above and beyond
Learning basic sentences for each topic which can where you can expand more during the speaking and also use your own examples of holiday trips or school to help you remember easier
i did AQA and they had a vocab list which was useful
I have a listening assessment this week how do I revise
Yaz013
Rep:
?
listening to coffee break french podcast and french news ( france 24 ) is good

also practise papers of listening papers does help as repetition will allow you to get used to the speed.
With the practise try to listen to it once and answer. Then listen to it until you understand that majority of it. Then with the unknown words, read the transcript with the audio and try to learn those words it most likely will come up in other listening or reading/writing papers.

hope this helps and good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (221)
43.68%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.71%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (107)
21.15%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.87%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.34%

Watched Threads