Is it possible to get into Oxford Postgraduate with a ‘high’ 2:1?

Watch
CAB18022
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello all,

I’m second year undergraduate and whilst I was looking for options to apply for my masters, Oxford said they accept people with a 1st class or a high 2:1 though they emphasise that the former is more likely. Which begs the question, is it at all possible to get into Oxford postgraduate with a ‘high’ 2:1? 😅

Many thanks!
pgapps2021
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, it's possible, though it'll depend on a number of factors, the main one being why you didn't get a first. I got offers from Oxbridge and other very good universities with a high 2.1, but I also had a very good reason to be underperforming. If you're dealing with illness or other difficult personal circumstances, ask your tutors to mention this in their references, and universities will likely look past it. If you're not dealing with any issues but just don't perform very well in exams, universities will want to see very high marks in non-examined papers (like your dissertation), and again you can ask your referees to stress that your exam results are not reflective of your abilities.

I don't know how good your odds will be if there are no extenuating circumstances whatsoever to explain your grades, but it's always worth a shot, especially if the course isn't a highly competitive one. If so, work very hard on your personal statement and research proposal (if you have to submit one), as originality and enthusiasm are definitely taken into account as well. Good luck!
CAB18022
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by pgapps2021)
Yes, it's possible, though it'll depend on a number of factors, the main one being why you didn't get a first. I got offers from Oxbridge and other very good universities with a high 2.1, but I also had a very good reason to be underperforming. If you're dealing with illness or other difficult personal circumstances, ask your tutors to mention this in their references, and universities will likely look past it. If you're not dealing with any issues but just don't perform very well in exams, universities will want to see very high marks in non-examined papers (like your dissertation), and again you can ask your referees to stress that your exam results are not reflective of your abilities.

I don't know how good your odds will be if there are no extenuating circumstances whatsoever to explain your grades, but it's always worth a shot, especially if the course isn't a highly competitive one. If so, work very hard on your personal statement and research proposal (if you have to submit one), as originality and enthusiasm are definitely taken into account as well. Good luck!
Super helpful, thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (23)
30.67%
No (52)
69.33%

Watched Threads