TacticalDebation
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
The question is:

At different points in their lifecycle stars change from one group to another.

Describe what will happen to the sun between it leaving the main sequence group and becoming a white dwarf.

Use information from Figure 7. (attached below)

Last edited by TacticalDebation; 4 weeks ago
mandyelicup
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Where have you got to so far?
You could start with describing what you see on the graph for main sequence stars.
TacticalDebation
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mandyelicup)
Where have you got to so far?
You could start with describing what you see on the graph for main sequence stars.
I started by describing how the sun would transform into a Red Giant, which would mean the relative luminosity would increase but the surface temperature would decrease. This red giant would then become a white dwarf which would (in contrast) have a greater surface temperature but a far lower relative luminosity around the same level as Main Sequence Star when its relative luminosity is the lowest.

I do not think this is enough for 4 marks, where do I go from there?
CletusYeetus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TacticalDebation)
I started by describing how the sun would transform into a Red Giant, which would mean the relative luminosity would increase but the surface temperature would decrease. This red giant would then become a white dwarf which would (in contrast) have a greater surface temperature but a far lower relative luminosity around the same level as Main Sequence Star when its relative luminosity is the lowest.

Talk about why it changes from one stage to another. What does it run out of when it starts to become a red giant? What causes the drastic reduction in size from red giant to white dwarf?
GeorgiaI18
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TacticalDebation)

thats the perfect answer for 4 marks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (69)
30.26%
No (159)
69.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed